Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buying a new Wireless Router

• Please log in to reply

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Hi,
i'm currently looking in to getting a new wireless router for my home netwrok as our current one only covers half the house. i have been looking at purchasing the Netgear RANGEMAX™ NEXT WIRELESS N ROUTER, GIGABIT EDITION - WNR854T
I am quite interested in this one as it seems to do everything that i would need it to do but the only problem is i can't work out if supports Simultaneous dual-band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) as i have some devices working on both. I assume it does but can anyone clarify this with me?

Also i was looking at WALL-PLUGGED RANGE EXTENDER - WGXB102 so that i could possibly use the wireless at the other end of my garden (as we have a hut down there with power to it)
The question i have about these is how do they work and when it connects to your origianl network, does it create a seperate network from your origianl one or does it 'extend' your origianl one?

I'm mainly interested in the top topic at the moment but any advice on the other one would be great!
Thanks for any replies,

Spud :)

Edited by ==SpuD==, 22 March 2009 - 08:37 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Homeplug will solve the wireless problem because it'll eliminate the need for wireless. (standard Homeplug 14/85Mbps - not what you've linked to) - http://www.homeplugs.co.uk/
Providing all your wall sockets go through the same circuit/fusebox (which is pretty much standard for most houses) all you do is plug them in, plug the network cable to your computer, plug a cable from a homeplug socket to your router and the job is done.
The network is created by the electrical wires you're using now. Providing you have a power plug in your shed, you can plug a Homeplug into it and it'll go online.

Edited by Neil Jones, 22 March 2009 - 05:46 PM.

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Thankyou for that link, the 200mb looks ideal for half of my problem so thanks!

But can anyone else recomend a good wireless router that can braodcast simulataneous 2.4 & 5 ghz wireless? As i have found out that the netear one i linked to previously only does 2.4Ghz,
Or does anyone know weather the Apple wireless router Airport Extreme supports windows computers and other network adapters such a netgear storage central manager ect..

Cheers for your help!

Spud