Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with reinstalling OS missing HALAACPI dll

• Please log in to reply

spyrohead

spyrohead

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I recently had a problem with connecting to the internet via my wireless, yet strangely enough Im online through skype. I researched the problem by typing in my problems on google and I found a post about a series ping tests.
I did the tests, they didnt prove much, then I read another post about uninstalling sp3, I did so.
after that the computer when haywire, It runs really slow the task bar doesnt respond, stuff like that. i decided to reinstall the OS, in the middle of the process a error message comes up telling me Im missing HALAACPI.dll
so I download that and put it in the windows/system folder and that worked. I tried to install the OS once more
this time an error message popped up saying Im missing a "somethingoranother disk.sys" file.
I think this is gonna keep going back and forth between me finding whats missing and finding out how to fix it then going back and finding something else thats missing.
is there like a registry CD out there that will automatically fix/replace/install all those files??
please let me know, this problem has been causing a sirious lack of sleep for me.
will this cd work?
http://www.user-guid...-Disk-1376.html
this is all I could find.
sincerely.
Spyrohead

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you read down on that link you will see this...
THIS CD DOES NOT CONTAIN AN OPERATING SYSTEM!
YOU WILL NEED TO INSTALL WINDOWS FIRST!

if your trying to do a complete reinstall back like the day it was new then do this...YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR DATA THIS WAY ...

Turn the computer on, after you see the Dell logo, press and hold Ctrl then press F11, then release them both at the same time. If that doesn't work after the dell logo continuously press Ctrl and F11 repeatedly at the same time and the dell recovery partition wizard should show up....doing it this way will install a pristine copy of windows and all your drivers...there willprobably be updates for many of the drivers and you will have to get all the windows updates as well but everything should work right away

Edited by happyrock, 23 March 2009 - 07:43 AM.

spyrohead

spyrohead

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ok well i tried the "ctrl f11" thing, it didnt work.
I already have an os installed and it kinda works but it doesnt at the same time, will the CD fix those problems and enable me to install a freash OS??

JKintheUK

JKintheUK

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi there! I don't want to step on anyone's toes because most people here are probably more knowledgeable than me but...

This sounds very similar to a problem I had trying to reinstall Windows. If you still have a complete copy of Windows (it doesn't matter how well it works) then try following my method in this thread elsewhere on this board.

Basically this allows you to create a Windows XP Installation DVD that works with your existing product key - no illegal copies required!

I was trying to reinstall windows on an emachines PC without having a backup image of its original condition or official install cds (I didn't want to pay for them and Microsoft and emachines were passing the buck between them meaning I couldn't get hold of them anyway!).

Obviously remember to at least back up all your personal data as my method will wipe it all. You'll have to find drivers yourself etc, but on the bright side it won't be full of the bundled crap manufacturers load on for you.

This will allow you to start from scratch, hopefully solving your problems and will definately speed your computer up if mine was anything to go by!

Good luck!

John