Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power button problems!

• Please log in to reply

Picky

Picky

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
This is a compaq S3200NX, It will all of a sudden it would logoff and shutdown, in 3 seconds it will restart by it's self and just power on and off , with the power on never lasting more that a second or two. I cut the leads going from the power button to the mobo and started the PC by shorting the two wires. Along as I don't have it connected to the power button on the case it seems to be fine. I can boot into windows with no problem. Before I cut he wires I got a blue screen once saying, " Bios not fully ACPI compliant, there is no ACPI in he bios. I have not seen this screen since I cut the wires from the power button. Does this sound like the button from [bleep],and I need to fine another switch ( If I can ) ?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sounds like a bad power button...you can just wire in any normal on off switch from the hardware store if you don't want to go through the hassle of finding a PC switch

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Thanks, I did have a switch from a old E-MAchine that was the same size and I believe it is working now. Thanks again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Just for future reference, the power switch in a computer is a momentary contact switch...a regular on off switch will cause the machine to shut down after 5 seconds unless you were to flick it on, then right back off. It would be just like holding the power button to force a shutdown if you were to flick it on and leave it there.

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Thanks, I Knew this, The same thing as shorting the two wires out going to the mobo. The E-Machine switch is working fine. Thanks for the heads up. Picky

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
my bad wannabe...i was in a rush... :) i knew that just forgot to put it in there

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
No biggie. Just thought it should be clarified for those who did not know.

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
You all are great. Desktop top now purringgggggggggg. Picky