Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen Fades to White

• Please log in to reply

Manners

Manners

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I am not sure if I am posting this to the right forum. I have a Compaq Presario desktop PC (SR5030NX, Pent 4) w/ Vista Home Edition.

Two days ago, after startihng the somputer, the screen faded to white with a slight image of a web page burnt into it. Upon re-booting the computer, everything returned to normal. Then it started doing it after going into screen saver mode. Fiddled with on/off monitor, computer, etc. Sometimes I could get screen back for 30 seconds, sometimes for hours. When it starts to fade, mouse stops responding. Now, everything on screen is gigantic! When I can get a screen. It comes and goes.

Also, I am having trouble with Windows Explorer, etc, hanging and ctl-alt-del and task manager not working. A couple of times I have had to pop the little breaker on the surge protecter to turn PC off. I'm not sure if I have a Windows Problem or Monitor Problem or virus or????? So sometimes I can get it going and other times it takes me hours. I'm not even sure these things are connected!

The white screen sometimes has has a horizontal gray line through it.

Background info which may or may not be important:

I was gone for 2 weeks right before this happened and have teneage boys who are rough on things and do not usually use this computer for their games. The did use it while I was gone.

Also, the night before this started, I got hijacked by a Windows Virus Program Screen and just turned off the computer. I have AVG which shows no infections along with SpyBot and
SpyBlaster. Spybot shows no problems either.

Thank you so much for your help and input in advance. Sure hope all of this made some sense! :)
Manners

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
HI Manners. Sorry for the slow response. After reviewing your issue I am leaning toward your monitor starting to fail. To help rule this out, do you have a another monitor you could borrow for testing? That would be the easiest way to find out if its your monitor or something with your computer.

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Thank you soooo much for your reply. I hadn't thought of borrowing a monitor but it is a great idea. I will work on finding one today and report back! Gotta make this quick as ...I'm fading.
Manners