Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vertical lines randomly flash on laptop screen, becoming more frequent

• Please log in to reply

crashgirl

crashgirl

• Pip
  • 6 posts
HP Pavilion dv5- 1159se Laptop, new as of November 2008, problems started a week ago.
running Windows Vista Service Pack 1

Flashes of multicolored vertical lines randomly started appearing for a few seconds or less, then disappearing. This has continued the past week and has become more frequent by the day,though it still only lasts a few seconds at a time. My computer also is running slower since this has occurred, and often freezes up briefly when I try to minimize a window or access the start menu, etc. Today it completely froze up and I had to force a restart.

Details of things I've done today are below:

I searched HP, trying to describe the problem and found a graphics related troubleshooting that told me to update the BIOS and graphics drivers. I tried both of these that were recommended for my specific model. (listed below)

- (BIOS update)- installed first, after setup was complete, restarted computer. a bunch of gray thick vertical lines appeared in the center of the screen during restart, then screen flashed gray before restart was complete. Computer finished restarting, colored line flashes are not resolved.

- (Mobil Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family Graphics Driver (32 Bit) ) - install would not complete.
I received this error: "The computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software. Setup will exit"

computer froze when I tried to open the start menu after this and I had to force a restart.
Ran Windows Defender (nothing harmful detected)

Looked at Event Viewer, following errors for this morning:

Event ID: 7026, Service Control Manager Eventlog Provider
Event ID: 7001, Service Control Manager Eventlog Provider
Event ID: 7011, Service Control Manager Eventlog Provider
Event ID: 4609, EventSystem

Event ID: 10005, DistributedCOM
Event ID: 10005, DistributedCOM
Event ID: 6008, EventLog
Event ID: 10, VDS Dynamic Provider
Event ID: 1002, Dhcp-Client
Event ID:15016, HttpEvent

Checked Device Manager:

Consumer IR Devices: Not working properly (Code 31)

I also ran hijack this, but wasn't sure if it was needed for this issue - also then I noticed hijack this isn't recommended by this site anymore. If anyone needs my hijack log or the newer similar thing let me know. or any other info, or if I should post this elsewhere, I found a related topic in this section so that's why I posted here. Thanks in advance..

Advertisements

crashgirl

crashgirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
problem fixed!

I talked with an HP support person and I ran the memory test and hard drive test, both came up clear. Then I uninstalled my graphics driver and reinstalled an updated version. So far no screen twitches and lines! :)
I'm really glad I didn't need to send it in to be fixed.