Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Another XP log-on/log-off loop (kinda different)

• Please log in to reply

insane225

insane225

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm on Windows XP SP3. I'm having the windows logon/logoff loop where you click the ADMIN, it shows my wallpaper (which assures me my files are still on the computer) but then before anything gets loaded, it returns me to the login page and under my account it says SAVING DATA, LOGGING OFF. Previously to this starting I was running a lot of spyware/adware/virus removal software to get rid of a virus i had/have. i no longer can boot into safe mode, safe mode with network, or safe mode with commant prompt, nor can i do the previous settings that worked. If I do manage to somehow get into safe mode it will still show me a login screen (which continues the login/logoff loop).

I tried doing a repair over my XP, didn't work. i found a couple sites that gave very similar (but slightly different) directions on fixing it in REOVERY CONSOLE (with WINXP Home Edition disk). One asked that once I had the R.C. pulled up showing "C:/WINDOWS/system32/" I type "dir". I did this (to show my list of files in "system32" folder). I didn't see userinit, or wsaupdater in this long list. I continued with the directions (that both directions stated) typing "copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe", and I think it was telling me something about it wasn't valid, or not found or something like that.

it is real important that i do not lose the data on the computer so i must try every way as humanly possible to fix this error without doing so. i'm trying to find a fix that doesn't involve slaving the drive over. that would be my last attempt. anybody got anymore ideas?

(also, please excuse me if i dont type back immediately (lol) im using a library computer right now. but i will be back to check either tonight or tomorrow).

:) thanks everybody. :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hi Insane225 and welcome to GeeksToGo

I am another member and I will try to help along with others who may drop into your thread. First of all I would ask you for some system info
Make\Model
Memory
Hd make\model
If this is a name brand system make sure you post the exact make and model so if needed we can look for exact drivers for you
Next can you boot into safe mode at all? If you do not know how to do this....Reboot, after original screen and before login screen tap the F8 key to get boot options... Select safe mode...
If that doesn't work then redo the steps and try Last Known Good Configuration.
Post back with results

Also do you know if the virus has been removed completely from your system?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Your data is definitely not lost. You can back it up to another storage device by following these instructions:

Download Puppy Linux from my list of links below. Download "puppy 2.16.1 seamonkey fulldrivers.ISO". Burn the ISO file to create a bootable CD. For this purpose you can download BurnCDCC from the links below. It's a very simple tool, used exclusively to burn ISO files.

Insert the disk into the CD/DVD drive and boot the computer. Use the default setting except for choosing screen resolution of 600x800 when given the option to do so. After the program is loaded click the icon that looks like flash disk. This will open the file system and will enable browsing your folders. Find the folders that you want to backup, copy and paste them to another storage device.

If the computer doesn't boot, please set boot order in the BIOS so that the CD drive is first priority boot device.

Edited by The Skeptic, 26 March 2009 - 01:51 PM.

insane225

insane225

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank both of you for your help. It is most appreciated. I went home yesterday with a few different possible fixes (because im at the library so i have to go home with as much as i can--not being able to get on my own computer). I came across the directions at http://thinkinginpix...onlog-off-loop/ which involved burning an ISO Vista Disk, and then a special-made software. So after doing that, my loop was then fixed and I can now log onto my computer.

Now I'm on my computer, but I'm trying to fix the problem that caused me to fall into the "Login/Logoff loop". My computer shows my wallpaper, but infront of it (in the middle) has a rectange box that states something about needing spyware software because my computer might have a virus, spyware, or a trojan on it. I've had a problem like this before and fixed it, but this one is tricky. I'm unable to get on the internet, my WINDOWS UPDATE icon just shows a white box (like it is a broken .exe link). And my anti-virus/spyware programs can't connect to recieve the updates. Its pretty much showing I'm not able to connect to internet. So quick recap, I have a trojan box on my wallpaper telling me I need antivirus software, can't connect to the internet to update software, or go to web pages (or any internet that I know of somehow), my modem is definately still connected to the internet (and recieving signal). I've tried running SPYBOT, AD-AWARE, & Avira. Any idea what I can do from here? I'm stuck back at the library. lol

And thanks again for all that ya'll do.

Edited by insane225, 26 March 2009 - 03:43 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to boot in Safe mode with Networking. If successful, post your problem in the ,alware forum of G2G. Take all the opreliminary steps required and post a HJT log.

If not successful, use another computer to download the latest version of Malwarebytes (a link in G2G malware forum) to a flash drive or burn to a CD. Unstall and run on your computer. If successful, post in the malware forum for further cleanup. If you still cannot connect, post back here.

Bob Myers

Bob Myers

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:)
I want to thank you for the help on this, and especially because you left the link that insane225 posted up.

That brought you to http://saveme.danfischbach.com/ this site which is run by a guy who has obviously spent a bunch of time on this problem. The problem was apparently caused by the removal of Mal Ware. His directions were right on track, and after the user's system was repaired I tested his exception directions, and they were very through as well. Later when I talked with the user he told me that the only thing strange was this "give away" "pop up" he had removed from the system by going into add remove programs.

The final symptom on this problem was if you tried to boot from the XP-CD, just as it should have been coming up with a decision screen to decide to repair or install it came up with an error 7b that said the hard disk was corrupt. That was why you had to use the Vista utilities disk.

Bob Myers

alien5803

alien5803

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Someone at work gave me their computer to see if I could save the files on it.

The computer is running WinXP and is stuck with a log in / log out loop. If I try to enter the Set-up menu it asks for a password, but won't accept the password. It ignores my choices on the Boot menu, and boots to the hard drive, rather than the recovery disk.

I tried F8 at start up, and the machine just seems to go idle, no HD activity, and a black screen, no text.

I had considered disconnecting the power to the HD in order to force boot to the recovery disk, then reconnect power to the drive but this seems somewhat drastic, and I'm not sure I I would gain anything.

If this has been solved elsewhere let me know.

Thanks!

System specs:

Compaq
PJ530AA
Introduction date
12-Aug-04
Country/region sold in
United States
Hardware
Base processor and speed
AMD Athlon(B) XP 2900+ 2.0 GHz
Advanced 400 MHz front side bus
Socket A
Chipset
Via KM400A
Motherboard
ASUS name: A7V8Z-LA
HP/Compaq name: Kelut-GL6E
Memory
Component Attributes
Ram (installed) 512 MB (1X512MB)
Maximum allowed 1 GB (2 x 512MB)
Speed supported PC2700 MB/sec
Type 184 pin, DDR1-333 SDRAM
DIMM slots Two
Open slots One available
Hard drive
80 GB Ultra DMA
7200 rpm
Optical drives CD-RW drive
48x32x48x CD-RW drive
16 maximum speed DVD drive
Video graphics
Integrated with up to 64 MB allocated video memory
Sound/audio
Integrated AC97 audio, six channel configurable
Network
Integrated 10/100Base-T interface
Modem
56K bps high speed modem
9-in-1 card
USB interface
9-in-1 digital media card reader supports the following cards:
Compact Flash I
Compact Flash II
SmartMedia
Memory Stick
Memory Stick Pro
MultiMediaCard
Secure Digital (SD)
Micro Drive
xD Picture Card (xD = extreme digital)
External I/O ports
I/O ports on the front panel
Port type Quantity
USB (2.0) Three (One on 9-in-1 faceplate, two on motherboard)
9-in-1 media card reader One card with four slots
IEEE 1394 One
Headphone One
Line-in One
Microphone One
I/O ports on the back panel
Port type Quantity
USB (2.0) Four
IEEE 1394 One
Audio One each (line-in, line-out, microphone)
Serial One
Parallel One
LAN One
VGA (monitor) One
PS/2 (keyboard, mouse) Two
Expansion slots (total)
Slot type Quantity
PCI Three (two available)
DIMM Two (one available)
AGP 8x One (available)
Drive bays (total)
Bay type Quantity