Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

window media center

• Please log in to reply

crafter08

crafter08

• Pip
  • 7 posts
My computer has been updated to have windows media center. I have my crochet pattern down loaded on cds. I'm unable to open the cds since windows media center has been install. I follow the instruction but it want work. I can open them on other computers. Can someone help me? I need to be able to open my patterns.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello crafter08...

When you put the cd in the drive, does an "Auto Play" window open? If it does, look down in the list and find "Open folder to view files".

Does doing this allow you to access your patterns?

wannabe1

crafter08

crafter08

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
When I put the cd in it does not open Auto Play window. The cd open to show the files. I click on the file and the window media center open. There is nothing to click on to open a data cd.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...let's check some settings and see if we can straighten this out.

Click on the Start orb, then click on Control Panel. In Control Panel, double click on "Default Programs". If you don't see Default Programs, click on the "Classic View" link in the left frame...then you should see it.

Click on "Change Autoplay Settings". Is the box at the top (Use AutoPlay for all media devices) checked?

crafter08

crafter08

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes AutoPlay for all media devices is checked.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Scroll to the bottom of that window and click on "Reset All Defaults".

See if it will let you access the patterns.

Do you know what the file type is of the pattern files? We may be looking at a file association issue.

crafter08

crafter08

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No that didn't work. It is a PDF file

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you right click on the drive and choose "Explore", it should show just the files on the disk. Right click on one of the PDF files...point to "Open with..." and see if Adobe Reader is listed as an option.

If it isn't, we just found the problem. This is assuming that you have Adobe Reader installed.

crafter08

crafter08

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
That worked. I was able to open the file. Thanks so much.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We need to set the file association for the pdf files so they'll open correctly without the extra work.

Open Control Panel and double click on "Default Programs". In the Default Programs window, click on "Associate a file type or protocol with a program".

In the Set Associations window, scroll down to .pdf and click on it once. What appears above the "Name" column? It should be Adobe Reader...if it isn't, we'll change it.

crafter08

crafter08

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Media center appears above the name colume

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
With the .pdf entry selected, click on the "Change Program" button. If Adobe Reader is shown in the window that opens, select it and click "Ok". If it's not shown in the window, use the Browse button to navigate to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader", double click on the "Reader" folder, click once on the AcroRd32.exe icon, and click "Open".

You'll want to set two other file types to open with Adobe Reader which will be done this same way and are located near the .pdf file type...these are .pdfxml and .pdx.

Once you finish this, your PDF files should open with the correct program automatically.

crafter08

crafter08

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
That works. Thanks so much for your help. People like you save so many tears and headaches. Again thank you

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad to lend a hand... :)

If you have any more problems, you know where to find us.