Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Saving data in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

sshariff

sshariff

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi. I'm trying to save a few files before I reformat my computer. I can't log into normal mode but am to start it in safe mode. I pretty computer illiterate and was wondering if there was a way to do this. Please help......

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Cant you just do this normally. Plug in your usb, open up explorer, and copy and paste your files you want to save. If this doesn't work, explain what is happening.

sshariff

sshariff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
When I try to burn the cd it says "insert cd" and does not recognize the USB drive

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello sshariff...

What happens when you try to start in normal mode?

sshariff

sshariff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
It says msconfig system failure and shuts down. I think my computer got infected with some virus and when I would turn it on it would load everything and then freeze. I logged into safe mode and ran a virus scan but no viruses were found. I tried to do systems restore but it would restart and freeze with a window that says "systems restore". I then deleted applications that I thought might be the problem while logged into safe mode and then it started showing the message "msconfig system failure". At this point I decided to reformat my computer but I just want to save some documents before I do that.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you can open the configuration utility (msconfig) in safe mode, select the option for "Diagnostic Startup", apply the change, and restart...see if it will boot normally.

sshariff

sshariff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
it now starts normally but still won't burn the cd. It recognizes other CDs

Hope_Comp

Hope_Comp

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Which software are you using to burn cds? do you get any error message ?

sshariff

sshariff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I use windows

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The fact that it will boot into normal mode with minimal driver support leads me to believe that we are looking at either a driver or a service causing issues with the machine. Let's see if we can narrow it down a little further.

Open the configuration utility again and, under the General tab, select "Normal Startup". Then, under the "Services" tab, tick the box to "Hide all Microsoft services". In the resulting list, remove the ticks from all except your anti-virus program (if it's there) and apply the change.

Restart and see if it will boot normally. If it won't, go back to the configuration utility and undo the change you made and we'll take a look at the startup applications...one of them may be loading a bad driver.

sshariff

sshariff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I tried that and windows shut down. It said "msconfig" system failure and restarted the computer.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Boot back into safe mode and open the configuration utility.

Under the Startup tab, what programs are starting when the machine starts?

sshariff

sshariff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The following programs are listed in tv start up tab
VPTray
Surveysa
VaioUpdt
PartSeal
UfseAgnt
Realsched
SNDMon
SPMgr
QTTask
ICO
LVCOMSX
InstallHelper
ElkCtrl
CameraAssistant
ITunesHelper
ISBMgr
Hphupd06
Hphmon06
Hpztsb11
HPWuSchd2
Hpcmpmgr
HKserv
CcApp
Atiptaxx
Apoint
Reader_sl
Apdproxy
VeohClient
GoogleToolbarNotfier
Kjzna1562565
MsnMsgr
WCESCOMM
ctfmon
HP digital imgaging monitor
HP image zone fast start

sshariff

sshariff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I think the whole problem started when I downloaded trend micro on my computer. Now I have 2 antivirus software. I logged into safe mode and deleted trend micro in the add/remove panel. But for some reason it still loads up in the start up. How do I get rid off it?