Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Medai 10

• Please log in to reply

bazza

bazza

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
I have lost the sound when playing home dvds on Windows Media 10 and I am also getting a message about digital copyright protection on commercial dvds. Audio file play fine. I use Firefox

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hello welcome to GeeksToGo,

I may be able to help you But I'm going to need some more information.

Brand\model of the computer
Cpu brand and model
cd\dvd rom how many what style Sata/ IDE
Hdd capacity
RAM capacity
MotherBoard model number if you know it.
Powersupply Wattage
What version of Windows

I have lost the sound when playing home dvds on Windows Media 10 and I am also getting a message about digital copyright protection on commercial dvds. Audio file play fine. I use Firefox

Is your problem only when you are using Media 10?

or is it for all sounds.

Have you installed any new hardware or software?

If you don't have any sound what so ever please check the obvious.

click on your Windows button the between CTRL and ALT, simultaneously strike the pause\break button
No you should be a system properties click on the hardware tab then Device manager, scroll down to Audio, Video, and game controllers, Do you see any yellow question marks.

Sound card is correctly seated if you don't have onboard sound
Power connections (both ends)
speaker wires to and from speakers
Output wire to and from computer (is it in the correct port, most of the time it is color coordinated)
if that doesn't fix it

Go in to your bios,
I'm not sure how to on your computer right now. If you don't know wait and I will tell you later,
otherwise check to make sure your onboard sound is not disabled if it is enable then exit and save the information, DON'T change anything else. Then reboot and try your sound again

Get that stuff done then get back to me and I will see where we are at

Cbarnard

bazza

bazza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Thanks for your suggestions. As I am very non-geek ,they are a bit daunting to me..however I have found that I can play all dvds without problems, on Windows Media Classic. I have checked the file types in the Options for Media10 and they are all checked so it is a mystery but as long as I use Classic, all will be fine. Thanks again for your time.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
No problem, I'm glad the issue has been resolved, If you have any other problems in the future This is the place for them. Good Luck :)
Cbarnard