Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer shopping.

• Please log in to reply

mcdanielnc89

mcdanielnc89

• PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Hey guys,

I'm on the hunt for a new laptop. My maximum price I would like to pay is nothing over $2000.00. Things I'd like the laptop to have are:

Operating System : Windows Vista Home Premium/Ultimate 64-Bit
RAM: at LEAST 3GB
HDD: at least 160GB
CPU: at least 2.0GHz
Display Resolution: no smaller than 1440x900 (or anything ABOVE 1204x768)
Screen Size: Preferably soemthing smaller than 17". I currently have a 17" screen and its too big. I'm mainly concerned jsut for a resolution.
Optical Drive: (DVD-RW/DVD+RW) (i want to burn dvd's/rip them.) (would LOVE a BluRay burner, but, LOL.. Too pricey right now.)

I am a Web/Graphic Designer. I am a POWER USER, I love my computers. I'm on them all of the time. I love watching television, movies, etc on them. I don't really do much gaming, but I do use the Microsoft Office and Adobe products. Like I said, I'm a BIG power user and graphic/web designer.

I'd preferably have a sony vaio. I have an HP right now and i hate it its big, the cord is junk. i've purchased three cord in less than a yr for this flippin thing. Should you need any more info on my tastes, just ask!

Thanks!

Advertisements

mcdanielnc89

mcdanielnc89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
bump.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Sorry for your wait.

Here is a link to the Sony Laptops that meet your requirements. HERE A couple of them have Blu-Ray ROM's, but no burner. HAHA. Some don't have a dedicated graphics card which I think you would want.

Here is a link to what I found when I narrowed everything down including your price. HERE Dedicated Graphics? Forgot to look.

And when taking a different route, I think I found some better ones. HERE Blu-Ray Combo Drives!!! :)

Hope that helps. Let me know if you decide to get one.

mcdanielnc89

mcdanielnc89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Thanks! Normally I would know this, but What would be considered a dedicated graphics card? I've been studing computer design instead of computer hardware here lately, lol.

EDIT: Can a bluray drive burn regular dvd's? I know it can't if its just a rom.

Edited by mcdanielnc89, 01 April 2009 - 11:22 AM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Look at this LG Blu-Ray Burner. Under the specifications tab you will notice it can burn DVD and CD's. Hence, "Combo" drive. This particular drive is for a desktop, but same principal. If a drive can burn DVD's, then it can burn CD's. If it can burn Blu-Ray, then it can do DVD's and CD's. See?
EDIT: So it is a ROM drive also. It does everything.

A dedicated graphics card is a stand alone card. It is not actually integrated with the motherboard.

It is best to show you desktop graphics cards and motherboards for it to be clear to you.

This card is a dedicated graphics card. Basically only by Nvidia or ATI Radeon. (BEST)

This board shows the on-board or integrated video of a motherboard. See the blue VGA monitor port? Many times by Intel. (Not so good.)

Graphics cards are primarily needed for gaming (World of Warcraft) and editing/design. (CAD, Video)

Edited by Ferrari, 01 April 2009 - 02:03 PM.