Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sony Vaio FZ345D: memory/manual

• Please log in to reply

Mr Tumnus

Mr Tumnus

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm looking to try and upgrade the memory on my laptop (Sony Vaio VGN-FZ345D, purchased from Bestbuy) and I have a couple questions:
  • What kind of memory (type, brand etc.) should I be looking for when I shop for it
  • How much should I expect to pay for an additional 1 GB of memory (I currently have 2 GB)?
  • Is this similar to upgrading memory in a desktop (in that you are inserting/replacing memory modules)?
  • I can't seem to find the manual for the laptop. Is there a place online that I can find it?I've tried looking on the sony support vaio site but their page with my model doesn't have any documentation.
  • Looking at the bottom of the laptop, which part of the laptop would I have to unscrew to get to the memory module (hence my looking for a manual)? I see 3 unscrewable panels (viewing the laptop upside down): the battery (on the bottom), the one on the top right corner, and the one closer to the center.

Any help you could provide would be appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi Mr Tumnus,

This is a great way to find out the kind of RAM (memory) you have and how much of it your motherboard will support. Upgrading your RAM is the most cost-efficient way to increasing your computers speed and performance.

Go to www.crucial.com. Use their Online System Scanner.

After this, Crucial should have recommended what the maximum amount your computer can handle and the specifications on the kind of RAM you should purchase. Don't know where to buy it? Crucial, Newegg, Geeks.com are the places I look.

What kind of memory (type, brand etc.) should I be looking for when I shop for it

Kingston is usually a very good brand for the money. Also, Corsair and Patriot and good name brands.

How much should I expect to pay for an additional 1 GB of memory (I currently have 2 GB)?

Newegg Laptop Memory

Is this similar to upgrading memory in a desktop (in that you are inserting/replacing memory modules)?

Yes. Similar.

I can't seem to find the manual for the laptop. Is there a place online that I can find it?I've tried looking on the sony support vaio site but their page with my model doesn't have any documentation.

See the answer to your last question first. It is rather simple if you can find where the memory is. I can help you find a general guide on how to install it also, if you are able to locate the memory(RAM).

Looking at the bottom of the laptop, which part of the laptop would I have to unscrew to get to the memory module (hence my looking for a manual)? I see 3 unscrewable panels (viewing the laptop upside down): the battery (on the bottom), the one on the top right corner, and the one closer to the center.

Mine is the center compartment. Unplug the the laptop, TAKE OUT THE BATTERY. Unscrew the compartment and look and see if you see something like memory modules that look like the ones I gave you the link too. Be careful if you have to touch internal components, make sure you have touch some metal and grounded yourself if you ever have to do that now or in the future. Always hold memory by the edges.

Edited by Ferrari, 26 March 2009 - 07:11 PM.