Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp product key

• Please log in to reply

jennifer adolph

jennifer adolph

• Pip
  • 5 posts
i bought a new copy of windows xp home and i lost the product key. I built my computer so its not fixed to my pc. its not on the back of my istruction booklet like the istructions says it should be. Could it have possibly been on the plastic wrap that was on the package when i bought? If i cant find it am i left with only buying a new copy of xp?
Thanx
Darien

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go.
Well sounds like you have a problem. If you just bought it tonight I would look through all the garbage, and every page of the booklet from the XP box. If you don't have the COA, you are pretty much out of luck, You may be able to call Microsoft and tell them what happened. Make sure you reference the receipt maybe they will work with you. I don't know for sure but that is what I would do If I was in your shoes
Good luck
Cbarnard

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Is the computer having problems?
If so please give a description of the issue, as well as any thing that you have done to try and fix it.
We also need to know about any changes that you may have made to the computer.

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

If i cant find it am i left with only buying a new copy of xp?

If you are on the same machine you are going to reinstall XP on.
Download magic jelly bean from here, click on download latest build. No install required. Open the zip file. Open the folder keyfinder.2.0.1. doubleclick keyfinder.exe It will show you your product key.

Edited by Magglass, 26 March 2009 - 09:31 PM.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Maybe I was wrong but it was my understanding that this was a brand new purchase of XP Never installed before, In which case The computer is not functional right now. But I could be wrong...

Magglass

If you are on the machine you are going to reinstall XP on.
Download magic jelly bean from here, click on download latest build. No install required. Open the zip file. Open the folder keyfinder.2.0.1. doubleclick keyfinder.exe It will show you your product key.

I believe this is a violation of the Terms Of Use I would reread them, I'm not sure, but I would be careful on that one...

Sorry Magglass.
I made some contacts, They said it is allowed to utilize Magic Jelly Bean when it is for a personal HDD. Your post just brought to mind a specific sentence from the TOU.. Sorry have a good day keep on trucking.
Cbarnard

Edited by cbarnard, 26 March 2009 - 09:31 PM.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
using an auditing program on a computer that has a valid copy of Windows to find they product key would not be a violation.
I am still unsure if the user has installed this copy of XP or not.
Trying to get a key code to install XP from some one elses copy of Windows would be illegal and a violation of the TOU here.

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
cbarnard,
You may be correct, it is a brand new system. I wasn't quite sure by the explanation.
Regarding the Terms of use, Finding ones own key, on ones own licensed OS, is not illegal.

Magglass

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Just to clarify, if this software has not been installed and the OP is asking for a crack we may not help.

SmartAndRealAnswers

SmartAndRealAnswers

Spammer

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Could i become a moderator at this website. ?

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hello,

I see that you have not replied to this post. Do you still need assistance?

If the problem has been resolved please post a reply stating this is resolved.

If you continue to need assistance please reply back with requested information asked for previously in my last post.

I like to hear how things are going for the people I'm assisting, please let me know how it is going good or bad!!!

Thank you very much and good luck

Cbarnard

Edited by cbarnard, 05 April 2009 - 01:14 AM.