Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

C drive is read only

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

busdrvr64

busdrvr64

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
i have no clue as to why this happened. I try to defrag my c drive and it comes up as read only. I have gone in and unchecked every box (read only) on every file, on every folder on the drive only have it change right back. I am using a router. Could that be part of the problem? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Donna

Advertisements

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Hello busdrvr64,

That is not normal. Lets see if something is going on here
Click on start, then run, type in msconfig, then click on the startup tab.
Uncheck all of the boxes except for your antivirus software. Click apply, then close.
You wil be asked to reboot, please do so.
When the system comes back up, you will receive a message that your startup config has been changed.
For now just click ok.

Change the permissions on one of the folders, write something to it.

Reboot again, let me know if the problem persists in your next reply.

Edited by Magglass, 27 March 2009 - 07:53 AM.

busdrvr64

busdrvr64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Ok I did what you asked. I did uncheck the read only box on a folder, hit apply, closed it, reopened it and it is still read only. on the start up under nsconfig I had 1 item that didnot have a command but the box was checked,(which I unchecked). HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\windows\currentver. Dont know what that is or if it means anything. Donna

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Hello busdrvr64,

Do you have XP home or XP Professional?

Do you logon as as administrator or another user?

1. Click on Start, My Computer, right click on the C:, click on properties, then the security tab.
Send me a snapshot of that in your next reply.

Note: If the security tab doesn't show in the commands above, click on my computer, click on tools , click on folder options, click on view, scroll down to the bottom, uncheck the box that says, use simple file sharing (recommended), click apply, click ok, Then repeat step one above.

busdrvr64

busdrvr64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
I have XP home. I believe I log on as administrater. I dont log on actually. I just get on with no password. And how do I do snapshot?

busdrvr64

busdrvr64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
I tried to do #1 as you asked but there was no security tab. I tried to do what you asked to fix that and there is no box for 'use simple file sharing'. ok now what?

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
The easiest way is to go here, download the program and install it. perform the step in #1, Click on new snapshot, click save. Save the file. , (note if you used fast reply, click on more options.) Click browse, navigate to where you saved the file.
Click on upload (Green button), then click on manage current attachments. Click on the green button (insert attachments into the text editor)

Then click on add reply.

Edited by Magglass, 27 March 2009 - 03:07 PM.

busdrvr64

busdrvr64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
What does this mean? "To share this folder with other users of this computer, drag it to the shared documents folder."

busdrvr64

busdrvr64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
That is what I found on the properties of my C drive. If I do that, will it stop that drive from being read only? I do have a router. Will the other people be able to get to it?

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

What does this mean? "To share this folder with other users of this computer, drag it to the shared documents folder."

Where are you seeing this?

Advertisements

busdrvr64

busdrvr64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
my computer~~rt click Cdrive~~properties~~sharing~~(in blue)If you understand the risk but still want to share the root of the drive, click here. (I did).And there it is.

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
You DO NOT want to do that!!!

If I do that, will it stop that drive from being read only?

No

I do have a router. Will the other people be able to get to it?

It depends on how the router is configured.

Your won't see the simple file sharing in XP home, it's not a feature of that version. Let me do a little research. I'll get back to you in a bit.

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Which defrag are you using, the one in accessories, system tools or do you use a third party piece of software?

busdrvr64

busdrvr64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
the one in accessory, system tools.

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
OK, lets see if this is where the problem is.
click start,run type cmd in the box,
in the black box type cd \..
then type cd windows/system32

then attrib dfrg.msc

take a snap shot and send that with your next post.
Also run defrag and take a snap shot

Edited by Magglass, 27 March 2009 - 07:48 PM.