Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Supply or Power Button

• Please log in to reply

racinmason001

racinmason001

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
The PC I'm working on is an EMachines Model #T2984. When I tried to power it up it would not turn on so I disconnected the front panel power switch and tried to short it to turn it on but that also failed. When I plug in the power cord and switch the power supply on a green light turns on in the motherboard? I don't know what this means and all help is appreciated. BTW the power supply is brand new.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The light on the board is just an indication of 5 vdc standby voltage on the board.
In simplicity, what happens is that the power switch on the front of the computer (has 2 wires) connects to the main board front panel connector.
Shorting (touching) the 2 wires together momentarily will send a signal to the board to have the power supply turn on.
This would be the same as testing the power supply and jumpering pin 14 and ground on the supply.

Working with power is very dangerous. If you are not trained in power and taking readings, DO NOT ATTEMPT.
You can buy a power supply tester that will test the supply.

Your problem can be :
1. Bad power supply
2. Power switch not plugged in to the front panel header on the board.
3. Bad main board.