Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

After Virus, desktop can't connect to internet but laptop can.

• Please log in to reply

Gwenivere

Gwenivere

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I need some serious computer help. I had a nasty virus/worm/something infect my computer because I forgot to update my anti-virus program. I updated my software and now the virus/worm/whatever is gone. It was the virus that keeps telling you that you have a virus and to download software from a site that it redirects you to, plus it will never let you on to the internet site you want to. Instead, it constantly redirects you. (I don't know if it's important what kind of virus/worm it was but I figured it couldn't hurt to tell you.)

So the virus was gone and everything was peachy-keen, or so I thought. When I tried to go online using IE this message pops up: IE cannot display the webpage. Most Likely causes- you are not connected to the internet, etc... I tried to refresh just in case it was a glitch but that did not help. I thought maybe it was my firewall, but turns out my firewall was not even turned on so that was out too. I checked my internet connections and it said I was connected. Since it was connected, I wanted to see if I could use my laptop. Lo and behold my laptop works fine. That is how I am typing this right now.

My laptop is working on a wireless network. I thought perhaps I need to reset my cable internet, router and computer connections. So one by one I shut them down and powered them back up. Still no progress. I decided to use Winsockfix XP and burned it onto a disc from my laptop and inserted it into my desktop. After it said it fixed the problem I restarted the computer to find that nothing changed. I clicked on Run in my computer and typed "netsh winsock reset" this still did nothing. I did some other simpler things but still no change.

I am about to throw my computer out the window because I can't take it anymore. Please someone help me with this problem.

Edited by Gwenivere, 27 March 2009 - 05:27 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Just to make sure....

I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal - HiJackThis™ Logs Go Here area.

Before you post a log click on this link --> You Must Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log
this will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your Hijackthis log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
I bet there's still malware lurking. Follow Broni's advice.