Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Temperature Bad?

• Please log in to reply

Jackpot-NZ

Jackpot-NZ

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey,

I recently assembled a PC 3 weeks ago. Yesterday I used a temperature program to test if everything was ok.

System -
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz
Memory: 2046MB RAM (2x 1GB PC8500 DDR2 Dual-Channel 1066)
NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT (512mb)

These are the temperatures I got -

Idle -
CPU - 38 & 38
GPU - 40
HDD 1 - 38
HDD 2 - 37
HDD 3 - 38

But when I begin gaming (Counter Strike Source, Empire Total War etc) my CPU temperature increases to 99 & 98 degrees Celsius (varies in 90 zone). Is this normal/ok?
I have used 3 different temperature programs (Speedfan, HWMonitor, RealTemp) with all recording same temperatures. My case has 1x 80mm fan located at the back and the CPU heatsink/fan (Stock Intel). I opened the case and clear some of the little dust on the heatsink and re-seated it.

Do I need to purchase a non-stock heatsink/fan, new case with more fan options? Otherwise what are your suggestions?

BTW the PC doesn't shut itself down when this occurs and the CPU fan is running and varies in speed when the temperature increases (a little loud but could be older style ATX case - approx 7 years old).

TIA

Edited by Jackpot-NZ, 27 March 2009 - 06:58 PM.

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to GeeksToGo.
I hope I can be of assistance to you.

But when I begin gaming (Counter Strike Source, Empire Total War etc) my CPU temperature increases to 99 & 98 degrees Celsius (varies in 90 zone). Is this normal/ok?

Are you sure You mean 90c :)
If your CPU temp is THAT high you should shut it down immediately according to Intel, the Temperature threshold for your chip is 74.1c.
You need to make sure there is not dust on the heatsink, it holds in the heat. Also use thermal paste to install the CPU not alot just enough.
Check all vents and clean them, take the front face plate off there are usually vents there also.

You Must do all of this, also you should purchase more case fans you most likely don't have enough air flow.

When you install more fans make sure they intake from the front and exit the rear for airflow.

If you don't do this you run the risk of ruining your CPU, and shorting out your motherboard because the solder will start to melt and make new connections (I'm not sure what temp that starts, but its not that far off.)

If more case fans don't help much I would also purchase an aftermarket cooler.

click here for a link to info about your CPU
Good luck let me know how this turns out :)

Cbarnard

Jackpot-NZ

Jackpot-NZ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, I am sure it is in the 90+c (celsius) area.

As previous I blew on the heatsink to remove dust when I was re-seating it. The thermal paste is in a circle shape in the middle of the CPU. Should it be spread over the whole chip? I would expect at 99c it would begin burning/melting as you said. Seems very strange it isn't.

My current case has a front fan but no vent so i assume it is for the HDD's and would circulate the air inside of the case. It also has screw holes in a triangle shape so unsure if case fans are avaliable for this type shape.

I am currently looking into buying a new case - Cooler Master CM690 or Thermaltake V9 Black Edition Case. Do you think this would help with circulation?
I might also buy a after-market cooler to play safe. Do you think it would be wise to check the chip itself?

Cheers for the help so far and sorry for all the noob questions. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
As Cbarnard stated, this is a dangerous temperature for your cpu. It can cause severe damage to not only your cpu but to the mobo also. The memory as well could be affected. I'm surprised as most newer cpu's now have an internal temperature shutdown built in.
Is the 80mm fan in the back the only fan inside the case? There should be one on the front of the case also. Most of the time this is a 120mm fan.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Yes, I am sure it is in the 90+c (celsius) area.

As previous I blew on the heatsink to remove dust when I was re-seating it. The thermal paste is in a circle shape in the middle of the CPU. Should it be spread over the whole chip? I would expect at 99c it would begin burning/melting as you said. Seems very strange it isn't.

It sounds like you didn't replace the thermal paste when you reseated the heatsink. But new paste would not have helped that much so don't worry right now. A good rule for temperature is don't let it get much higher than 65c and that is still hot. Some of the brand new chips out there have much higher thermal thresholds, but that doesn't matter because the MOBO and Ram are not ready for that yet currently.

I am currently looking into buying a new case - Cooler Master CM690 or Thermaltake V9 Black Edition Case. Do you think this would help with circulation?

I think If you were to purchase either case you would be leaps and bounds from where you are right now. Current cases have much better cooling and airflow. I personally would get the CM690 it had a lot of room for expansion and good cooling options.

I might also buy a after-market cooler to play safe. Do you think it would be wise to check the chip itself?

If a new case doesn't help the problem then I would purchase an aftermarket cooler.
You probably will not see any physical signs of damage to the CPU. If you notice problems that appear to be CPU related I would then Replace it after the proper troubleshooting. Please come back to this site and reference this problem we are currently working on if you do start to have problems. That will help us down the road access the problem.
Good luck let me know how things are going :)

Cbarnard

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hello,

I see that you have not replied to this post. Do you still need assistance?

If the problem has been resolved please post a reply stating this is resolved. If the problem resurfaces again please reference this thread in the new thread you start.

If you continue to need assistance please reply back with requested information asked for previously in my last post.

I like to hear how things are going for the people I'm assisting, please let me know how it is going good or bad!!!

Thank you very much and good luck

Cbarnard

Jackpot-NZ

Jackpot-NZ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I applied some new thermal paste and this fixed the problem. Cheers for helping me out.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help. Please let us know how everything works out for you. If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help.
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Congrats I'm glad you are up and running. Glad to help, come back anytime
We love to help everyone. :)
Cbarnard :)