Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Quicktime will not uninstall

• Please log in to reply

melthatsme

melthatsme

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, my itunes stopped working and i uninstall it and tried to uninstall quicktime and that is where the problem started. I got the error 2096 that loads of people get, but have tried deleting many ways and it wont go. Basicly i have got down to the problem but have no idea how to fix it.
When i go into program files/quicktime i can delete all fines in there except QTsystem. When i try to delete this it shows the same error that i get when i try many other ways to uninstall qucktime
CFchartactersetBitmaps.bitmap Access is denied
Make sure disk is not full or write protected.
I haven't been able to use my itunes in 2 weeks. please someone help!!
Thanks heaps

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is from Apple's website on the correct steps to take to remove Quicktime

1. Quit QuickTime Player.
2. From the Start menu, click Control Panel.
3. In Control Panel, open Add or Remove Programs.
4. Select QuickTime from the list of currently installed programs, then click Uninstall.
5. When asked if you would like to remove QuickTime, select Yes.
6. After the uninstallation is complete, do not restart if you are prompted to.
7. If other entries were present for QuickTime remove those as well.
8. Restart your computer.
9. After the computer restarts, open Local Disk (C:) in Computer or whichever disk programs are installed on.
10. Open the Program Files folder.
11. Right-click the QuickTime folder and select Delete and choose Yes when asked to confirm the deletion. Note: This folder may have already been deleted if QuickTime was successfully removed in steps 1-7.
12. Delete the QuickTime and QuicktimeVR files located in the C:\Windows\system32\ folder. Click Continue if Windows needs confirmation or permission to continue.
13. Right-click on the Recycle Bin and on the shortcut menu, click Empty Recycle Bin.
14. Restart your computer.
15. Install the latest version of QuickTime from http://www.apple.com...cktime/download.

Let me know if this works for you.

pottersfriend

pottersfriend

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Get as far as step 5. Makes all the right moves gsathering information, configuring etc. but then comes up with a box "fatal error during installation" and won't move from there.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try booting into Safe Mode and running the steps.