Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgraded and cloned hard drive, but will not boot

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
my personal experience with Ghost ...it was a crapshoot...worked about 50% of the time and the other 50% it would fail..sorry I don't remember which version...it was part of norton system works package ...fought with norton AV for about 6 months until I finally uninstalled it and never looked back..the Ghost failed me for at least the 5th time and I tossed it too..I use and recommend HDClone ...its both free and so far I have never had a failed copy from 1 drive to another drive...they have paid versions that can copy to smaller drives and copy it faster...but I find the free one works just fine for me...I need/require that my cloning software work all the time ,not sometimes....just my 2 cents worth

Advertisements

ZiaMan

ZiaMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Casper didn't work again.
Tried HDClone, and I have finally got new hard drive up and running. Thanks happyrock for the suggestion.
Did run into a funky bit at the end though - one of the last screens in completing copy process states that HDClone can complete some kind of customizaton of the disk (or files/partitions/??) and when I clicked go ahead and use the recommendation, got message "A problem has been detected and Windows has shut down to prevent damage. Plug and Play detected error most likely caused by faulty driver........." Went ahead and made new drive Master, and it booted up. Great.
Thanks for everyone's help.
ZiaMan

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)