Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

.Net Framework install

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi everyone,

I am trying to use Quicktime Killer. It prompts me to download .net framework and asks me if I want to do this now, I click yes/ok. Nothing happens.

I did some googling and such about .net framework, but I am unsure which version I need or which version I may already have, etc. Could someone help me out with this?

Thanks,

Edit: I think I may recall once telling my Zone Alarm Firewall to remember to deny .NET Framework from connecting, so that might be it. I have went into my firewall, but I didn't see anything listed for .net framework, maybe it is listed under something else, not sure. I told it to deny because I had no idea what that was at the time, just now remembered that.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Ferrari, 28 March 2009 - 11:47 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go here and download the new one 3.51 SP1

http://www.microsoft...t/Download.aspx

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
rshaffer61,

Refresh your browser, I believe when you were replying I was in the middle of the Edit part at the bottom. It is trying to install, but it is trying to "reestablish a connection to the server". I think I have blocked this in my firewall, however, I can't seem to find whatever it is I need to unblock.

Thanks,

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK good glad I could at least offer something to ya for all the help you have given me with helping others

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

OK good glad I could at least offer something to ya for all the help you have given me with helping others

Thanks a lot, and I appreciate the kind words.

but I still have the problem, its not solved. :)

I think I have blocked this in my firewall, however, I can't seem to find whatever it is I need to unblock.

I don't know how to unblock it.

Edited by Ferrari, 28 March 2009 - 12:15 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
There should be a accepted area that you can put certain websites in as safe

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Yeah, but what website? Or what name is it under? There is nothing that says .net framework. Maybe its not the firewall. I have a feeling it is though. Everything seems to be listed as IP addresses.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
When you double clicked on EnGraphQuickTimeKillerInstaller.msi, did it ask you to download, and install .NET?
If not, you may have needed version installed. Check in Add\Remove.
Keep in mind, that .NET is not cumulative. Different programs may need different .NET versions, so it's normal to have more than one version listed in Add\Remove.

To see, if QTKiller worked, run HJT, and see, if QTKiller is listed in O4 section, and Quick Time is absent from O4 section.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks Broni.
I don't use zonealarm so not really sure about how it operates.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Oh my gosh, I feel like an idiot.

Broni,

I ran HJT and it is NOT listed in the 04. It is also NOT checked in msconfig.

For some reason, I was under the impression that when I ran Quicktime Killer, that when I clicked ok for the .net framework it would pull up a window showing the install or download. Then after that I thought it would pull up a window showing the install of the Quicktime Killer. Apparently it doesn't do any of that and worked the first time I tried it. So I am trying to solve a problem I don't even have. haha.

Thanks, I think I'm pretty good to go.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
LOL...good
Normally, .msi applet doesn't show any confirmation, that's why :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I'll have to remember that.

It was weird, my computer had no activity at all when I was trying to do that, so I assumed it wasn't working.

Thanks once again,

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
for the future...just use windows update to get all the .NET updates and patches...you can also just shut down zone alarm while you are attempting to download something and you suspect the firewall is interfering ...
and like Broni said different programs need different versions of the net framework to function...so get them ALL..

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I gotcha. Thanks happyrock.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts