Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Hangs Before Beep Test - Help!

• Please log in to reply

Frodofall

Frodofall

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi All

A couple of months ago, I rebuilt my computer, installing an ASUS M2N68-VM motherboard with Express Gate and an Athlon X2 64-bit processor.

I've been having problems with getting the computer to the system beep ever since the rebuild. Here is what happens:

On switching the computer on, the fans start, the mother board light glows green, the DVD burner lights operate and the VGA Bios information is flashed on the monitor screen. Then, before entering the Express Gate feature, either:

- the screen goes black and hangs;
- the screen receives no signal, then receives signal with the VGA Bios information displayed again (A reset?) before going black and hanging (this reset can happen a couple of times before hanging);
- on rare occasions, the computer manages to get past the glitches and moves onto the Express Gate screen.

When the system hangs, I press the reset button. Generally, it takes three or four resets before the system will get to Express Gate

The funny thing is that once the computer has gotten onto Express Gate and gotten further into the operating system, there are no problems and everything is quite stable.

I was concerned that it might be some sort of motherboard instability, so downloaded Hot CPU Tester to run some diagnostics. All came back clear.

Initially, I did not have Express Gate installed. Thinking that not having this might be causing the issue, I installed Express Gate, unfortunately to no avail.

I suspect that the issue is worsening over time. Whereas before it took one or two restarts to get through, now its taking three or four.

Any ideas? Many thanks in advance and kind regards

Tony

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,529 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to go.

I would suspect that you have an issue with the startup and loading of the required drivers.
Have you tried safe mode (F8) to load just basic drivers?