Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista XP dual boot system

• Please log in to reply

dabunny

dabunny

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello! I just purchased (against my will due to the fact that my old laptop is dying :) ) a new Gateway MD 2614u notebook with Vista Home Premium 6.0 pre-installed. The hard drive is listed as: st9250827as ata

For a variety of reasons I would like to do the following:
1. set up a dual boot system
2. clone my old hard drive to the D: partition of the new notebook so I have my XP with all the goodies I had installed and optimized to run -

I plan to use DriveImage XML to do the cloning

My old system (Gateway 7100 series) had ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M series graphics, AMD 64 Athlon processor and Windows XP Media Center. The new one has AMD Turion X2 and ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics.

I keep reading about needing to manually install drivers for the hard drive but can't seem to find them anywhere. Also, would I need to install display drivers?

Thanks in advance!!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Under XP you cannot change the hardware in a drastic fashion and expect it to work. It will need a Windows repair doing to it and all the new drivers installed before it'll be usable on your new laptop. So it's not just as simple to clone your old installation to the second partition of your new book, and there's no driver support for XP from Gateway for your new notebook anyway so half the stuff won't work.

dabunny

dabunny

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I decided to use PCmover from Laplink. It successfully migrated the programs I wanted :) I'll probably have to live with Vista :):( Maybe I'll get used to it by the time they come out with something more "user friendly" /sarcasm.