Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE 8 Will Not Run at all after initial install

• Please log in to reply

Ferrante

Ferrante

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
I went to IE's homepage and tried to install IE 8. There was a download of some sort. Then it said it was removing a previous version of IE and then rebooted. It downloaded files, did a malicious file search and appeared to be downloaded and completed as the screen returned to the desktop. Whenever I double-click the icon, nothing happens. I get the hour glass for about 3 seconds and it disappears and that is it. Can someone help me with this and instruct me as to how to fix it, please? Thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisements

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello Ferrante & Welcome to GTG !

Did you get a BSOD ??? ( Blue Screen of death )

Have you tried an alternative browser eg: Firefox

can be found here: http://www.mozilla.c...ox/firefox.html

If none of the above helps, maybe the event viewer will point us in the correct direction..

If you are unable to access the event viewer , let us know and somone here ( if not me ) will direct you on how you go about accessing the events

Best of luck !

Anthony19

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Hello Ferrante & Welcome to GTG !

Did you get a BSOD ??? ( Blue Screen of death )

Have you tried an alternative browser eg: Firefox

can be found here: http://www.mozilla.c...ox/firefox.html

If none of the above helps, maybe the event viewer will point us in the correct direction..

If you are unable to access the event viewer , let us know and somone here ( if not me ) will direct you on how you go about accessing the events

Best of luck !

Anthony19

Hi,
I am using Firefox and have been for quite a while. I don't even know why I want IE 8! Also, I forgot to mention, I was having the exact same problem trying to install Google Chrome. Again, I like Firefox a lot, but I also like to check out new things and usually go back to Firefox after a couple of hours.
Btw, I love how well and fast you can type! :) Any advice? I don't know where the events viewer is. Also, I am going to bed now to watch a movie, so I will not be back on until tomorrow a.m. Thanks again for trying to help me! Mark

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello Ferrante

Quote: I don't know where the events viewer is

click on Start > Run > Type: " eventvwr.msc " without Quotation marks ( " ) then Press enter

Look in " Internet Explorer " Any events listed there ???

IF SO double click the event and please post back as much info as you can about these events

EG: is it an Error , information or a warning ???
and all the event description section...

Best of luck !
&
Happy computing

Anthony19
BTW: I work 6 days a week , help out on my lunch break... ( Maybe slow proceeding but we hopefully can resolve this )

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Hello Ferrante

Quote: I don't know where the events viewer is

click on Start > Run > Type: " eventvwr.msc " without Quotation marks ( " ) then Press enter

Look in " Internet Explorer " Any events listed there ???

IF SO double click the event and please post back as much info as you can about these events

EG: is it an Error , information or a warning ???
and all the event description section...

Best of luck !
&
Happy computing

Anthony19
BTW: I work 6 days a week , help out on my lunch break... ( Maybe slow proceeding but we hopefully can resolve this )

Hi Anthony!
I ran the events viewer as you suggested. Under IE it does not list any custom log error records. It is listed, but nothing is contained in the size area. When I double-clicked onto the IE listing, there was nothing in the new window. However, in the Applications area, there is a number of errors listed, but I cannot tell if they have anything to do with IE. I also see a number of errors regarding Google calling it an update, so I image that was when I was trying to install Chrome. There are 7 of them, back to back. I tried to find a way to save the application log, but I could not see where I could do that. I find it interesting that I cannot install either IE 8 or Chrome. Since I was trying to install IE 8, the updater worked as far as removing any previous versions (I think) and now I have no IE at all.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks, Anthony,
Mark

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
iam not 100% sure on this , but its worth a go...

Because IE8 is build deep into windows

Maybe try scan windows files...

Do you have your Original windows installation disk ???

You will need it if files are not intact or in the original versions

To start the scan...

Click " Start " , Then click " Run " , Type: " sfc /scannow " , Without quotation marks ( " )

Best of luck !

Anthony19

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

iam not 100% sure on this , but its worth a go...

Because IE8 is build deep into windows

Maybe try scan windows files...

Do you have your Original windows installation disk ???

You will need it if files are not intact or in the original versions

To start the scan...

Click " Start " , Then click " Run " , Type: " sfc /scannow " , Without quotation marks ( " )

Best of luck !

Anthony19

Anthony,
Thank you for all your help. I really appreciate it. What I ended up doing was reversing IE 8 back to IE 7 using a Microsoft tool on their website and 7 is working fine. Since I normally use Firefox, I will stick with that and not worry about upgrading IE. Things are easier that way. Again, thank you so much for helping me.--Mark

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
nice work !

Glad to hear you have partially resolved the issue :)

Long as you are happy with the system...

i don't think running the ie7 would be good though , because of loop holes from not being updated... but if you are using firefox , all should be fine :)

best of luck

Anthony19

Edited
PS: Thank you for reply , greatly appreciated !

Edited by Anthony19, 01 April 2009 - 10:44 PM.