Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading GFX card and PSU ?

• Please log in to reply

hardvinyljunkie

hardvinyljunkie

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hi Guys

Am looking to upgrade the Graphics card in my PC and the PSU will also need upgrading, just not sure if how I am going about it is right?
Not got enough money for a new build but I do like online gaming and want to upgrade the GPU.

My PC is a Medion MD8822 (yes its an ALDI machine :) ) and is 2 years old. http://www.medion.de/md8822/

I have upgraded RAM to 2x 1GB 1066mhz DDR2

I have checked the phsical size and its tight but with the aid of a flexible riser ( http://linitx.com/vi...hp?prodid=10865 ) this is needed as the MOBO design puts my CPU heatsink too close to the only PCI-E socket on the mobo, this will allow me to move it down a slot or 2.

My main worry is that my budget is tight and I want the cheapest PSU that will cope with the GFX card I choose.

Graphics card I want is the NVidia 260 gtx. ( http://www.overclock.......&subcat=927 )

I read that this GPU requires : System Requirements Minimum of a 500 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 36 Amp Amps.)
Power Connector 2 x 6 Pin.

PSU I found = http://www.ebuyer.com/product/134695

Will this PSU cope with this specification ? I cant see where it gives the amps for the 12V rail.

If not could anyone suggest a cheap but good PSU?

Any further suggestions appreciated ?

Thanks
Martin

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Quoted from the page you gave me.

With several ground-breaking +12V independent output rails for exceptional power distribution

So yes, it has +12v rails but doesn't provide the amp rating. I have confidence in Coolermaster being strong enough though. CoolerMaster is a reliable PSU. Other reliable brands are Corsair, Antec, and SeaSonic.

Have you made sure the PSU you buy will fit the case? Is your case an ATX Form? Every site I go to about your computer is in a language I can't read, so I'm having trouble finding that out. An ATX case requires an ATX Power Supply so the screw holes match up. uATX is Micro ATX, so you know.

The link to the card you gave says the product is unavailable, so I was unable to look at the card, however the GTX 260's are nice cards for the price range you are looking in.

As long as the PSU fits your case everything looks fine.

If we need to communicate further about computer parts, lets use Newegg.com as a common ground to provide links for, but you can buy whatever parts from where ever you want. (Any english website will do actually)

I speak and read English.

Hope that helps, let me know if you need any more help.

hardvinyljunkie

hardvinyljunkie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks for that.

Can you just confirm 1 thing for me, if a PSU description shows like this :

- +3.3V(36A), +5V(30A), +12V1(18A), +12V2(18A), +12V3(18A), +12V4(18A)

What is its ampage? confusing as all i want to confirm is that is will cope with the 260GTX which wants 12v 36amp?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I'll be honest with you, I don't know that kind of detailed specs of power supplies. I have noticed that the GTX 260s found HERE give a minimum power supply needed, then a minimum recommended power supply of +12V current rating of 36amps, etc.

Basically what they are recommending, but not what is absolutely necessary.

My best guess would be that if your graphics card takes two power connections, then the specs you gave should work because they go like this...

+12V(18amp) ONE, +12V(18amp) TWO, +12V(18amp) THREE, etc. So 18amps X 2 equals 36amps. See?

Sorry I can't do better, but I never look that much into it. If a card requires a 500Watt Power Supply, then I always make sure the entire system has about 100 to 150 more watts than that. (this is probably not the best way to do it) but that's what I do. At least for systems with only 1 hard drive, 1 optical drive, 1 graphics card, etc.

Hope that helps, if not, I would say google that question and do some reading. You can always contact Nvidia or the PSU maker and ask them also.

Good luck!

hardvinyljunkie

hardvinyljunkie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Many Thanks Ferrari

I was of the same conclusion as to your method.
Well the GPU is in the post and I will go with a decent 700w PSU.

Thx again

Martin

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Sounds good, just remember...reliable brands for PSU's are Corsair, Antec, SeaSonic, CoolerMaster.