Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dropped computer

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not without opening the system and physically looking at the components themselves.
The one thing I can say with confidence is that there does appear to be physical damage to the system.
The one piece of advise I will give you is to make sure you inform bestbuy of the data that you want to save. This way they can try to pull it off the hd if that is diagnosed as the problem.

Edited by rshaffer61, 30 March 2009 - 09:54 AM.

Advertisements

cs1024

cs1024

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
i guess that is the only choice i have.
on another note. since i have to save up for this, either repair or to get the data out.
when i eventually get a new pc. can i use the memory chip frm the old pc to the new pc. yes it will be the same.
the cost is too good.
if buy chance they diagnose that there is no problem on the old hd just the mother board. ???
can i use the old hd to the new pc. assuming i can get the data out from the old hd.
i just hate to throw the unit out and not know what i can use from it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
if it is the mb, then your option would be to buy a new mb.
Cost on them can vary greatly. As little as 60 to as high as 400 or more.
As far as using the hd in another system it would have to be the same system if you want to use it as a boot drive.

Edited by rshaffer61, 30 March 2009 - 12:09 PM.

cs1024

cs1024

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
well i guess there is not much i can do to check if the hard drive is damaged or not.
eventually what ill get is another one like the one i obviously had.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would advise that you at least take it to bestbuy and have them diagnose your problem. Diagnostic should not be to expensive and it could save you allot of money in the end if it turns out to be something simple.
Cheaper to replace dvd drive and mb in most cases then it is to buy a brand new system.
I hope this helps and let me know what you decide to do.

cs1024

cs1024

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
good point. i will do that.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I hope I have helped you and hopefully given you some options. I will watch this topic and if you have any other questions please feel free to post them.

cs1024

cs1024

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
yes it has. thanks.
it will be a couple of weeks before i can afford and make sure i have the money to take it to best buy. i will call them and see if i can speak to someone. to at least get a better picture of cost, problems whatever. if its too much to fix. then i will prob get a new one.
but for now all i want is my data on the broken pc. i hope i get it. i hope its not all gone.
i worked 2 years on notes, most i do have, but i have done a lot of updates.
oh well we'll see what happends.
thanks.
ill let you know of the outcome.