Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't log into Windows accounts, logs in then right back out.

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Good enough.

If you want, you can just disconnect the slave for now. No sense in feeding it power if it's not doing anything constructive with it.

I'll wait to hear the results of your scans...

*wannabe1 likes happy endings :)

Advertisements

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Ok, I went ahead and did both scans before bed, and both were 100% clean! :)

Thanks a lot, and I'll check in at least one last time tomorrow to update how it's going.

Tsunami317

Tsunami317

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Is there anyway to do these repairs if you've lost your XP CD? I'm having the same problems (when I log-in it says it's saving my settings and then immediately logs me out and loops back to the login screen). This happened after I ran a McAfee virusscan and quarantined several files. I assume this is what I need to do:
"Boot to the cd.

At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to repair using Recovery Console.

Select the operating system to log on to by number...usually 1...press Enter.

When prompted for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press Enter.

At the prompt C:\Windows>, type the following commands pressing Enter after each one: (Note the spaces in these commands...they are important. Also note that I am assuming that your cd drive is drive d:. If it's not, substitute the drive letter that represents your cd drive in place of d:.)

d:
cd i386
expand userinit.ex_ c:\windows\system32 <--there is a space after ex_
exit

"

But I cannot risk having my hard drive erased, can I removed it before doing this process, or does using the Recovery Console definitely not erase anything up in my hard drive? Thanks so much!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: Tsunami317

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.

Tsunami317

Tsunami317

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I had the same userinit problem am following the steps above:

<<<
At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to repair using Recovery Console.

Select the operating system to log on to by number...usually 1...press Enter.

When prompted for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press Enter.
>>>

But when I get to the Administrator password step and leave it blank it says this is incorrect. I am the only user and I don't think I ever set an Administrator password or anything and none of my usual passwords works. Is there a generic Admin password or anything that might work, or some way for me to recover this? Thank you!

Bradra875

Bradra875

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm having the same issue. I got to the whole d: and copying things. It still didn't know what I was talking about.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: Bradra875

Please start your own topic as this one is almost a year since the last reply.
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Thank you for your cooperation.