Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't log into Windows accounts, logs in then right back out.

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Apparently it will recover the system from the disk alone. I'm game if you are.

Advertisements

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Yep, I'm up for it. So I can wipe the backup HD, reformat it and install Windows to that HD, then hook what is now the main HD back in to port the files I need over to what will have the new Windows install on it, then wipe the backup and use it as normal from that point on?

Let me know what I should do first and I'm all for this.

I'm going to bed for now, but I guess we'll do this tomorrow night if you're up for it. Thanks for all the help so far!

Edited by bloodydingo, 31 March 2009 - 09:34 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'll get you fixed up with a "to-do" list in the morning so you can get started. There are a few things we need to do to make this work.

You are quite welcome for the help. I only wish we'd had a little different results.

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Yeah, me too, but what can ya do. To be honest, this may be for the best, as long as I can save some of my important files. My computer has been slow, giving me the BSOD, and other such problems for a while now. It would be nice to start with a fresh install of Windows I suppose.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Alrighty then...

First thing we need to do is remove the second HDD from the machine and set it as the master by changing the jumper on the rear of the drive. It's set either to Slave or Cable Select now...it will need to be the Master. There should be a diagram on the drive's label showing this...if not the jumper setting should be available on the MFG's website.

Once you've done that, reinstall it in the machine and connect it to the end cable connector...the one that's connected to the current Master. While you're in there, you may as well set the jumper on the current master to the slave position so we can get into after we're done. DO NOT connect this drive back up until we're done with the install.

Once you have the new master connected, put your recovery cd in the drive and boot it up...see if the recovery starts.

My internet is down for repairs today, so I'll be using various hot spots to connect until it's back up.

I'll check back in a few hours to see if you have questions.

Have fun.......

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
I can't do anything until I get home at around 6:30pm est once again, but all of that sounds fairly simple so I know exactly what you're talking about with those instructions. I'll go through it as soon as I get home. It shouldn't take me long at all.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Low and behold...my ISP got their lines moved faster than they originally thought. How often does that happen. :)

Back online and will be available to help with this when you're ready. :)

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Once you have the new master connected, put your recovery cd in the drive and boot it up...see if the recovery starts.

Alright, the new master is connected and the old master isn't hooked up right now. I put the recovery CD in the drive, booted it up, and it's at the Windows install/repair screen. I'm not going ahead without your say, lol.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You'll want a clean install, so press Enter.

Then you'll probably have to agree to the licensing agreement...press F8

We want to delete any partition on there, then format using NTFS (not quick).

That should keep you busy for a few minutes.

Keep me posted on your progress.

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
I have three options:

Format the partition using the NTFS file system (Quick)
Format the partition using the NTFS file system
Leave the current file system intack (no changes)

I assume to pick the second one, correct?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
yup

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Alright, that step is comple and it's now "copying files".

I'll likely need my original Windows key in a few moments, correct? I'm looking around and I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Edited by bloodydingo, 01 April 2009 - 05:42 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Look for a sticker on the machine...on older machines it may be on the back.

Some OEM disks will install without a key.

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Alrighty.

It's now doing this (I'm going through the options, they're pretty self explanatory):

Posted Image

I'll let you know when this finishes up.

Edited by bloodydingo, 01 April 2009 - 05:56 PM.

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Ok, I'm all loaded up, I have two accounts created and I'm logged into the main account that will be used as the head account now.

I'll await further instructions. :)

Once we're totally finished with all of this, I'd also love some "must download" recommendations, such as free anti-virus, and that sort of thing to start me off on the right foot once again.

Anyway, what next? The old, former master, drive is still not hooked up.

Edited by bloodydingo, 01 April 2009 - 06:07 PM.