Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't log into Windows accounts, logs in then right back out.

• Please log in to reply

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
I just noticed that the new slave drive is actually split up into two "partitions". Do I need to wipe both of them, or just the one that my old Windows install was on? I totally forgot that it was split like that.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Note: Look at my previous post...

You can do it however you wish...either delete both and format the unallocated space as one drive, or format each of the drives and leave them as separate partitions. I would recommend that both be formatted, though.

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Ok, I'm fooling around with trying to copy some of the files, and I am having a problem with it freezing, leading to the folder to reach a status of "Not Responding", eventually bringing the entire PC to a hault. Is there a way to stabilize things to make this easier?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Windows will do that with some very large files or with some media files if they have corrupt headers. Do the files you're copying fit into these categories?

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Hmmm, I booted into safe mode and I think I figured out the file that was causing the problem, so it's not really doing it anymore.

Alright, I'll take care of this for a short while more tonight, finish up tomorrow night, then report back to this thread once I'm ready for more advice.

You have no clue how much your help has meant to me. I've ended up not losing as many files as I thought I would. It turns out that since I didn't know that my old drive where Windows was installed was split up, I thought half of it was on the drive that I had to wipe today to do the new Windows install, so I barely lost anything I was worried about at all.

Once this is all over I'll be sure to make a donation of some sort the best that I can, you sure do deserve it. :)

I'll try not to take up too much more of your time, I should be totally fine in just another couple of days, lol.

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Just to update, I've noticed the computer slowing down every now and then, and ultimately freezing, with the slave drive now installed. I also woke up to an error on the Windows log in screen concerning the partition of the slave drive where the former Windows install was located. Once I finish grabbing everything off of it I absolutely need to save, and format the slave drive into a single partition and all of that, can those problems be expected to disappear?

Again, I can't do anything until I get home tonight, but I may as well go ahead and ask any questions I have throughout the day. :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'd be willing to bet that the problems you're experiencing are the result of corruption on the old system partition...it is pretty messed up. They should clear up after the partition is formatted. We may have a little cleanup to do, too...just to make sure no nasties were copied across. We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Alright, all of the files I want to keep have been copied over.

The only thing I can't find is my old Yahoo IM chat logs. Where would those be saved? Other than that, I'm ready to proceed.

:)

EDIT:

I've gone to Computer Management, and clicked on Disk Management, and it's taking forever to load. It's been a long, long time too.

Edited by bloodydingo, 02 April 2009 - 07:35 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You're chat logs will be in the old Program Files folder.....Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\Profiles

As messed up as your machine was, it doesn't surprise me that it's taking a while for Computer Management to mount the drive.

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Ok, I went into safe mode and it went right to it. I have a C, E, and F volume. The E and F are the same drive. When I do what you said earlier, how do I combine E and F into a single partition once again, and format them? If I right click on the E volume and pick format, will it automatically do F as well and combine them?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You need to delete both partitions, which will leave you with one drive displayed as "Unallocated". Then you can format the unallocated space as a single volume.

Right click on each one and chose "Delete Volume".

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Ok, I just deleted both.

Now Where is says Volume, it just has C.

At the bottom is has Disk 0, the main C drive.

Under that is Disk 1, to the right it has two parts - 127.99GB Unallocated and then 58.32GB Free Space.

I'm a little lost again, heh.

EDIT:

I just noticed I can right click on the green 58.32GB part on the right and the option to delete partition is there. I've done that, but again, it's taking forever to do anything. I just have the hourglass sitting there.

Edited by bloodydingo, 02 April 2009 - 08:32 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You're on the right track...are you still in safe mode?

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Yep, still in safe mode.

That 58.32GB of free space just doesn't want to be deleted, lol.

Edited by bloodydingo, 02 April 2009 - 08:37 PM.

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
It finally went "The request timed out and could not be completed."

And for what it's worth, this part, E, is the part where the old Windows install was located.

Edited by bloodydingo, 02 April 2009 - 08:43 PM.