Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No output to monitors

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome. If you need help I will try to assist with what I can. If you would like someone who can help you in the other forum just post a topic there and one of the qualified techs there will be more then happy to help you step by step

Thank you again for visiting GeeksToGo and good luck

Advertisements

smoiu

smoiu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Well all my bits and pieces arrived today, a relatively uneventful 3 hours later and everything is set up and working perfectly :) Vista was recognised fine and booted up without a hitched, just needed the drivers reinstalling and 35 minutes on the phone to microsoft support in oder to get my licence reactivated. Now everything is great and i eveb seem to have gained the ability to use both monitors while Sli is on, which is nice! :) It wasnt cheap and it was a bit of a hassle but the outcome is good so cheers again!

Just need to format and reinstall the OS when i have time, try to regain some of the speed which this instllation appears to have lost over the last year!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great news!!!! :)
Thanks for letting us know how things turned out. I'm glad everything turned out good for you even though it cost you allot of money. Sometimes that happens but the end is always worth it. :)
Congrats and please let us know how everything works after reinstall of OS system :)

smoiu

smoiu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Will do! My only worry is the CPU, i hate installing them at the best of times and looking at Core Temp my cores seem to be running very hot. Just on the desktop it's reporting them at ~64c each and running UT3 they go through the roof, hitting high 90's, then going through to -30c somehow :S

Is this likely to be a bug with the program or do you think I should i be concerned that i've not got the heatsink/paste on properly. I've also tried Speedfan and that's reporting similar temperatures. Hopefully it's nothing but it just doesn't seem right considering how many fans are in there on a non-oc'd cpu!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would suggest putting some thermal paste on it. It will help and it's better safe then sorry :)

smoiu

smoiu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I put a fair amount of thermal paste on there, but will add a bit more if you reckon it needs it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You don't want it to ooze out the sidesfrom under the fan. :)

Edited by rshaffer61, 02 April 2009 - 10:37 AM.

smoiu

smoiu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
well i'll check how much contact there is when i open it up, i'm pretty sure i put enough on there to get good contact with the heatsink.

smoiu

smoiu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Looks fine to me, the thermal paste was nicely sandwiched between the cpu plate and the heatsink, but i've still got ridiculous readings from Speed fan

Posted Image

That's just while i'm on the desktop.

Edited by smoiu, 02 April 2009 - 11:26 AM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Speedfan is NOT always accurate with some motherboards. It is better to run the system in regular mode for a while then reboot to the BIOS ( hitting the delete key while booting usually) and look at the system temps there. Even then some of the MB's sensor's are not very accurate either. My true method is using my index finger and sticking it down near the bottom of the heatsink next to where the CPU is touching it and if it is very hot then i would worry. If you can hold you finger there with no problem that you are probably good to go. I personally will use a thermo gauge like these to check cpu heat.

http://www.cabelas.c...82018711a.shtml

SRX660

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) Thanks SRX660. Good advice. This is why I bow to the techs here :)

Edited by rshaffer61, 02 April 2009 - 11:44 AM.

smoiu

smoiu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
That looks like a rather nifty gadget, may have to pick on up after i get my next paycheque and survey the damage these purchases have done!

I'm off out for a few days in a bit, when im back ill try testing the temps from the bios and with my finger, everything seems to be stable and responsive at least so i highly doubt the cpu is hitting the temperatures that speedfan is claiming, but it's still worrying enough to get a second (or third :) )opinion so thanks guys! I'll check in on here in a few days!

smoiu

smoiu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Well i got back from my trip, turned the computer on and it died after an hour or so - instantanious switch off so figure it's likely to be heat related. Checked the bios and it reported 81c! Opened it up and checked the sink with my finger and it was blisteringly hot. Cleaned the thermal fluid off, reapplied some before putting the heatsink back and rebooting - hey presto it's own to ~36c on the desktop. I can only guess i didnt put it in properly the first time - i do hate those things, im never sure whether they have clicked in properly or not :S

Is it likely to have done any major damage running as hot as it was?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Actually the good news is that most of the new CPU's have internal shutdown in case of overheating. This will stop severe damage from occurring as you spoke of.
How is the system running now?
I see by your post it has been 30 minutes now. Is it running ok and can you check the temperature to make sure. Please post back and let us know.

smoiu

smoiu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Yep i've been keeping an eye on it and it's running nice and cool, the GPU's are running at ~65c but that seems normal for them as far as i can tell, as you can see the cpu is behaving a lot better now!

Posted Image

absolutely no performance problems, but there wern't to begin with. Im suprised it didn't turn off when i played UT3 but it's all looking ok on that front, as long as there's no long term damage :)