Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MVPS Hosts file Restore

• Please log in to reply

zhanger10

zhanger10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Yeah I have over 15G of music and other documents. I did not know the severity of the MVPS hosts file, I thought it just blocks ads. Is there another way to restore other than system restore? like a command or a file?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have found the instructions on how to do the installations. Factory an repair.
Which would you like to do?

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hi My name is Cbarnard I hope I can help a little.
I have an Idea I'm working on the fix, it should not require a fresh install, Just give me a couple min.
Cbarnard

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you cbarnard, I was hoping to save the data.
I'm sure I'm just missing something that is probably sitting in front of me.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Follow these instructions click

Start > My Computer > Windows > System 32 > Drivers > ETC

That should bring you to where the host files are stored

Delete the existing HOSTS file and rename HOSTS.MVP to HOSTS (no 3-letter extension)

"HOSTS.MVP" was created when running the "mvps.bat" file included in the "hosts.zip" (download) HOSTS.MVP is a backup of your previous HOSTS file.

Next - reset the DNS Client service that you should have disabled when installing the MVPS HOSTS file.

Open the "Services Editor"

Click Start > Run (type) "services.msc" (no quotes)
Scroll down to "DNS Client", Right-click and select: Properties
Click the drop-down arrow for "Startup type"
Select: Automatic then click Apply/Ok and restart.

This should take care of your problem let me know either way

Cbarnard

Edited by cbarnard, 30 March 2009 - 11:17 PM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts

I can't use a lot of applications on Facebook and on other sites. Can you help me restore back to my original host file? Thanks

Depending on some of the applications this can be a good thing. The MVPS host file is designed to block Advertisement Sites and sites that contain malware and point to Malware. Some of theses sites may be how you got infected in the first place. What applications on Facebook are you having a issue with. Also what other sites are you having a issue with?

Maybe we can help you Identify why the sites are being blocked.

If you still insist I can tell you the only line needed in a unedited copy of the hosts file but the Malware tech told you to install the program for good reasons.

Edited by tuxmaster, 31 March 2009 - 02:59 AM.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Tuxmaster is right,
MVPS hosts file is good to have, It redirects your computer to itself in the event that you are going to connect to a known bad site.
I should have offered and edit fix instead of a removal fix. Both Tuxmaster or myself can assist you with figuring out which host file is the offender. and edit it. But you run the risk of being infected by this action. I'm don't use facebook so I wasn't even thinking about an edit.

Reply back and I will assist you more.
Cbarnard

zhanger10

zhanger10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I think it was "2009 bracket challenge" application. Also when I try to watch college basketball games on the NCAA/CBS on Demand, which uses microsoft silverlight and I can't seem to view any of the videos. Since its free, it requires you to watch ads., so I'm guessing MVPS hosts file is the problem.

Edited by zhanger10, 31 March 2009 - 09:17 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If that is the problem then fixing it should get everything working right again.
maybe cbarnard or tuxmaster can get this right for you now.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts

I think it was "2009 bracket challenge" application. Also when I try to watch college basketball games on the NCAA/CBS on Demand, which uses microsoft silverlight and I can't seem to view any of the videos. Since its free, it requires you to watch ads., so I'm guessing MVPS hosts file is the problem.

Could you give me the URL's of the pages that you are trying to go to.

To do that right click on the link then click on copy link location.
Please post with the link you are trying to go too.

Edited by tuxmaster, 31 March 2009 - 09:52 PM.

Advertisements

zhanger10

zhanger10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
NCAA basketball

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
zhanger10,

I need to do a bit of research on my home system. I will get back to you on this.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
zhanger10,

Yep Just as I thought doubleclick is the issue.
There are a few entries in the hosts file that have to do with doubleclick. That is the reason why the links are not working.

zhanger10

zhanger10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Is there a way to bypass the code without compromising loss of security like having to ask me for permission or something in that sort?

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Is there a way to bypass the code without compromising loss of security like having to ask me for permission or something in that sort?

The creator of this file has a database of all the sites that are dangerous, if you encounter a site that is on the list it keeps you from going there.By editing the file you are compromising your security and allowing yourself to access a know bad site.
Cbarnard

Edited by cbarnard, 01 April 2009 - 09:58 AM.