Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lighting strike

• Please log in to reply

hit&miss

hit&miss

• Pip
  • 2 posts
HI everyone,I hope you can help me out. A lighting strike has fryed something,I have a dell dimension xps,intel pentium 4,intel 875p chip set. The problem is,it will not boot when turned on,the fans work but thats it. The 4 diagnostic lights dont came on at all,the key board does not light either,the power button stays a solid green when pushed on. The manual states a possible pre-BIOS failure has occurred. HELP ME PLEASE.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you are getting no post screen the possibility is the mb has taken a hit.
How old is the system?
You could try and take out the cmos battery for 30 minutes then put it back in. That should reset the bios back to factory defaults. If it still doesn't post then your mb is bad.

hit&miss

hit&miss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the info,I'LL give it a shot. The system is an antique it's 6yrs old. Never had any problems till now.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I guess mother nature is saying it's time to upgrade?
Seriously it happens alot
I have been doing this for about 12 years now and I see at least a half a dozen of these a year.
To protect yourself from this I would suggest investing in a good surge protector. Some of the newer ones have protection for not only your system but phone and cable also.
This way you get triple protection