Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update keeps trying to install its own update

• Please log in to reply

Lesjhawk

Lesjhawk

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I've got a problem where windows update continually tries to install its own update v.7.2.6001.788 and fails. because of the I cannot get normal updates to Vista (32 bit). I've tried to reinstall the windows update.msi with no luck.

Here is my Hi-Jack THis file.

Thansk for the help.

Lesjhawk

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Did you try to manually download, and install latest Windows Update Agent: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104 (half way down - Download the windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe package now)

Lesjhawk

Lesjhawk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I've tried tthe update agent and also to install the stand alone SP1 both of which fail. The automatic update installer will sometime successfully install and then fail to update any updates because it tried to reinstall itself and fails.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Lesjhawk,

Are you getting any error messages?
If so what are they?

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Just a shot in the dark, but I've found that most Service Pack issues relate to either malware or incompatible drivers.
Try scanning online for malware, and then check with the manufacturer of your devices for updated drivers.

Once you check all of that there's a whole bunch more stuff to try :)

Good luck!

Lesjhawk

Lesjhawk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for the quick inputs. I've checked for Malware (nothing other than some tracking cookies, found no ill-programs) and have all of the current drivers.

What else do you propose?

Thanks!

Lesjhawk

Lesjhawk

Lesjhawk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
To Tuxmaster: Only error is a recurring code 80070643 when WU 7.2.6001.788 Fails

To Broni: Tried the standalone WU install agent, no luck.

Any Ideas?

Thanks!

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Here's a link to a generic Windows Update troubleshooting guide that I found: http://usasma.vox.co...ed-26feb09.html

Lesjhawk

Lesjhawk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
everything unloaded , .bat file ran correctly and then started everything again. No luck. Windows update history was wiped out (as I expected) WU tried to update and then failed with error code 80070643.

gggrrrr :)

Attached Thumbnails

• error2.jpg

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
An interesting article here: http://msmvps.com/bl...cles/66059.aspx
But the SYSTEM account should already have sufficient rights to work on %systemdrive%
You may want to check the permissions on the drive just in case.

As you initially posted a HJT logfile, is it possible that you're infected?
If so, please post over in the Malware forums for assistance in removing any infections.
If Windows Update is still broken after that, post back here and we'll work on it some more.