Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wanting to install a 2nd internal hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Lucanio

Lucanio

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm trying to buy a second internal hard drive for my home recording studio. I'm fairly certain that my current internal hard drive is an IDE. My motherboard is a Micro-Star International nVidia nforce3 250 chipset based- K8N Neo v2.0. I checked the manufacturer website and I think it says i can use IDE or SATA. Can i use Sata even if keep my IDE as my primary hard drive? Also I don't really understand how the new HDD connects to the computer. Does it daisy chain with the first HDD? Last time I upgraded my GPU and my PSU i used up all my molex's can i y-split one of the molex's to give the new HDD power, or is that a bad idea? These are the 2 I'm looking at: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822148416 and http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822148335

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
That board will do PATA and SATA.
You can mix SATA and PATA, yes.
If you have SATA it doesn't need to connect to any other device save for the power supply and the board.

The last "recertified" hard drive I saw from Seagate lasted three days. Whether it's typical I don't know as I only saw one of them that had died in that fashion so it doesn't mean anything. Personally I wouldn't have the recertified drive.

Lucanio

Lucanio

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks!