Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading Memory

• Please log in to reply

rugbyman74

rugbyman74

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am nervous to upgrade my memory on my Dell Dimension C521. I currently only have 466MB of RAM and I need to upgrade it to be able to play World of Warcraft. I have spoke with some people that know memory related issues and they told me that you have to purchase memory that is compatable to the particular computer you are using.

My question is if anyone can point me in the right direction for where I can purchase about 2GB of RAM fast.

http://www.computerm...C521-memory.htm

This website shows some memory for my computer, but I am not sure which one I should purchase, the DDR or the DDR2.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Chris :)

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
This is a great way to find out the kind of RAM (memory) you have and how much of it your motherboard will support. Upgrading your RAM is the most cost-efficient way to increasing your computers speed and performance.

Go to www.crucial.com. Use their Online System Scanner.

After this, Crucial should have recommended what the maximum amount your computer can handle and the specifications on the kind of RAM you should purchase. Don't know where to buy it? Newegg

Let me know what the results are. copy and paste if you can.

rugbyman74

rugbyman74

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
http://www.crucial.c...359626C31D926C3

That is the result

rugbyman74

rugbyman74

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I went ahead and purchased 3GB of RAM, I appreciate your help and will let you know how the whole process works for me :)

Cheers!!!

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Here is the best deal as far as price and a good brand goes.

Patriot 2 x 1gb. 2GB Total Buy 2 of these kits so it will equal 4gb which is the max your computer can take.

If you have a 32bit Operating System, which you probably do it will only recognize about 3.5GB. But, with your computer you have to install matching pairs so you have no option to just install 3 1gb and a 512mb. You have to go all the way to 4gb to max it out.

If you only want to have 2GB then just buy one of those kits. It will be 2 sticks of 1GB.

Here is a list of all the RAM that will work with your system.

CLICK HERE

Names you should trust and that are good are Patriot, OCZ, and G. Skill to name a few.

Here is what I would say is the absolute best for your computer.

Corsair Dominator

You can buy just one of these kits (2 sticks of 1GB) or you can buy 2 of the kits to equal a total of 4GB which is the best and good for Gaming.

Do you need help on the install of the RAM? I can provide manuals, instructions etc if you wish.

Let me know what you think. If money wasn't an issue and you want the best, get the Corsair Dominator. The second pick is the Patriot brand I recommended.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
rugbyman74,

I wasn't quite done, do you use an integrated on board video or a dedicated graphics card? Graphics cards are what can really improve your gaming experience, but you need the RAM upgrade to enjoy it also.

Just something to consider. Let me know if you wish to explore that,

Glad I could help thus far :)