Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Botched up OS Installation Partition

• Please log in to reply

kinhteroi

kinhteroi

Spammer

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
He turned it on to do his homework, it got past the splash screen then ... nothing. No Vista. just a black screen.
Repair installation did not work.
Restore point did not work.
Safe mode..it hangs up at CRCDRIVER.SYS Will not go past it.
Only option I have is to try and re-install everything from scratch. EEEch!
The repair software had a restore from backup option. Since it was never backed up, I could not restore that way.
I just bought a 500Gig external drive and downloaded Acronis. (If thats what I need.)
So somewhere along the way, I make an image of the hard drive. And a few days later, Vista dies again. If Acronis is the right software, how would I go about restoring the image to the laptop? would I have to install Vista then Acronis, then tell it to transfer the image back? I'm kind of lost here. Or would I have a copy of Acronis on a seperate partition on the external drive and work it from there? Transfer the saved image to the black drive?
I'm familiar with Acronis unless someone has a better/easier way to do this. I just downloaded about 18 drivers from Sagers website. There has got to be an easier way.!
FYI Laptop is a Sager NP2096, Vista Premium 64 bit, 320G HD, 4G Ram, P8600 CPU, 9600M GT GPU.

Removed spammy link

Edited by wannabe1, 29 April 2009 - 06:29 AM.

Advertisements

Tom Schlichting

Tom Schlichting

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
not sure how to fix your problem, but i use acronis true image, you would install acronis, create bootable cd after install, create acronis secure zone on another partition, create full backup. this way if it crashes again you can boot to the bootable cd and restore from that image. also set task for auto backup from within acronis, i backup to a 500 gb external drive.

hope this helps

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Depending on your installation there are different ways to access Startup Repair.
What make and model of computer is this, and what kind of Recovery DVD do you have (what does it say on the label)?

More about Startup Repair here: http://usasma.vox.co...epair-isos.html

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
If you haven't created the bootable CD yet, you can create it on another working computer and then use it to boot the one that isn't working. Then, from there, you "should" be able to access the external drive to restore the image.

Just FYI, I had issues with a Toshiba M45 laptop and an earlier version of Acronis. The laptop wouldn't run the Acronis boot software in it's "normal" mode and I was forced to use Acronis' Safe Mode. In Safe Mode I couldn't access the external USB drive.

Every other computer that I've tried it on hasn't had these difficulties (and I've been a beta tester for Acronis since version 7).

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
I have merge your topics as they seem related.