Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant run windows xp in safe mode?

• Please log in to reply

mrtypr

mrtypr

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Hey guys

Im just trying to start my pc in safe mode in order to run SDFIX to removal a worm i have on my PC

For some reason when i press F8 to start in safe mode it lets me get to the list of options "safe mode" "safe mode with command prompt" etc...

but it wont let me use my arrows keys to go up to choose safe mode? So i dont know what is going om, because if the keyboard is letting me press F8 to even get to the option it should work as for the arrow keys. Im using a wireless keyboard and i dont have any usb generic keyboards. If I cant get this keyboard to work i might have to borrow just a generic one maybe and see how that goes

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have a USB keyboard or PS/2? if you're using USB try to get your hands on a PS/2 keyboard and try that

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
He states:
"Im using a wireless keyboard and i dont have any usb generic keyboards"

It's possible that the generic drivers used in safe mode will not support the use of a wireless keyboard.
I would follow Dsenette's advice and try a standard PS2 keyboard.

Edited by rshaffer61, 02 April 2009 - 07:33 AM.

mrtypr

mrtypr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
sorry my mistake

I only have a wireless keyboard of which the receiver is a usb connection

I have a usb/ps2 adaptor. I will connect that to another keyboard I have that is a cord usb keyboard and try that and see if that works

What i dont understand is, why does the computer detect the keyboard when i press F8 on start up? But not the arrow keys to select safe mode? Weird...