Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezes sometimes when using Winamp

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I am using Windows XP Professional with SP3 and all latest updates installed. My security software is AVG 8.5 (paid), which automatically scans my system daily. I also frequently run other security software (such as Spybot-Search and Destroy and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, etc.), so I don't believe I am infected with anything. The version of Winamp that I use is v5.551 (their latest version).

Now I'm not entirely sure that Winamp is causing the problem. I only know that when the problem occurs, Winamp is always running. Here's the problem:

Every once in a while, I can't seem to find any rhyme or reason to it, when I'm listening to MP3s in Winamp, my computer will just freeze (meaning nothing, not even my mouse, will work), prompting me to do a hard reboot. This doesn't happen every time I listen to music with Winamp. I would say, on average, it might happen once or twice a week. And this has been going on for as long as I can remember.

I've looked into updating my sound card drivers, but I believe they are already up to date. I also thought that perhaps the problem might be my computer was overheating, as I've experiened the same type of freeze when doing processor intensive operations, like encoding video files. So I've installed a new fan and completly dusted everything in my computer, including the fan on the processor, and even applied new thermal gel to the processor itself.

But the problem still continues. As I said, it seems to only happen when I am listening to music through Winamp. But more times than not, I can listen to music through Winamp without any problems. I've looked in my Event Viewer to see if anything jumped out at me as the cause of this problem, but I didn't notice anything with the Yellow Triangle and Exclamation point icon. Though, admittedly, I am not very savvy in the ways of Event Viewer, so perhaps the cause is listed in the there, and I just haven't noticed it.

I would appreicate some help if any one can offer it.

Thanks,
mike.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You may also have some other problems...
Navigate to: C:\Windows\Minidump folder.
If you see any .dmp files, zip all of them, and attach zipped file to your next reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi rshaffer61,

Thanks for the reply. I checked the directory you suggested, and I have no files in there. I do have my explorer options set to show hidden and protected operating system files, so I am sure nothing is there.

thanks,
mike.

P.S.-- Isn't your avatar from the original "Day Of The Dead?" Wasn't his name "Bubb" or something like that?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes my avatar is and great eyes.
Download WhoCrashed from my signature below.
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file and run it
Setup the following options during the installation of the program
check in accept
Check the don't create a start menu folder
Check create a desktop icon
Then install
When done make sure there to check "launch whocrashed" and click finish
Click Analyze
The program will want to download the debugger and install it,say yes
WhoCrashed will create report
You will have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I followed your instructions. However, after I clicked analyze, the program never asked to download and install a debugger.

****WhoCrashed Report*****

Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

No crash dumps have been found on your computer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion

Crash dumps are enabled and no crash dumps have been found on your computer. In case your computer does experience sudden reboots it is likely these are caused by malfunctioning hardware or power failure. Then it's suggested you contact the support department of the manufacturer of your system or test your system with a memory test utility for further investigation.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ok next time the issue happens make sure you get run WhoCrashed and get the report.
I have a feeling we have a conflict with either drivers somewhere or a memory problem

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Ok, I will post again once the issue reoccurs. As I said, sometimes a week will go by without an occurrence. So it might be a little bit before I post again.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Talk to you soon,
mike.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and hopefully it won't happen but if it does, I will be here to assist with what I can.