Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

window xp

• Please log in to reply

socalhidesert1

socalhidesert1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
When starting up my computer windows xp. It keeps shutting down and restarting every 30 seconds.
I have tried the safe mode, safe mode with networking and safe mode with command prompt. I have
clean out all fans just in case of over heating but the problems still continues. I am currently using my
laptop.... can anyone guide me through the process to get me up and running... socalhidesert1 thanks.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello welcome to GeeksToGo, We will be happy to help you.

I will need some more information
Make and Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space

If it is custom then I will need the following
The CPU brand and model
The Motherboard brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/ SATA
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots
Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started

All this will help in determining a course of action to best correct the problem you are experiencing.

socalhidesert1

socalhidesert1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Gateway 507gr
mem: 512mb ram
main intel r pentium r 4 cpu 3.00ghz
4 yrs old

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
At what stage, exactly, is it shutting down? Is it during POST or after windows start loading?

If you have XP CD boot with disk, chose Recovery Console and run chkdsk /r. If you need more help with this step please let us know.