I'm going to focus on accessing the Vista machine from the XP machine for now; we'll sort out the XP machine afterwards.
On the Vista machine, ensure you have the following settings in place.
- Press Start
- In the Start Search field type network and select Network and Sharing Center
- In the new window, under the Sharing and Discovery section, can you please set the following status for each:
- Network Discovery -- ON
- File sharing -- ON
- Public folder sharing -- ON
- Printer sharing -- ON (if you want to actually share a printer, that is)
- Password protected sharing -- OFF
I can only see the default shares, so let's try setting up an extra test file/folder. On the Vista machine, please go to a folder that you would like to share, right-click on it and select Properties
-- select the Sharing
tab and then press the Advanced Sharing
button. Check (tick) Share this folder
and then select Apply
. Can the other other computer now see/access this file/folder?
If not, please do the following.
- Select Start
- In the Start Search field type cmd -- right-click on the cmd program and choose Run as administrator
- In the new command prompt window, type net user guest /active:yes
- Try to access the Vista machine again; can you?
If you still can't, on the Windows XP machine, please goto Start
--> In the run box, type \\1-PC
and then press OK
-- what happens? Now, try typing \\192.168.10.6
and press OK
-- what happens? Please post any error messages that may appear.
Finally, from the XP machine try to ping the Vista machine.Step 1 - Ping tests:
- Press Start
- Select Run
- Type cmd and press OK
- In the new command prompt window, please type the following commands (*Note: each ping will take approximately 10 seconds to complete; wait for the command prompt to return before you type the next one. Also, the single '>' and double '>>' are intentional; please type the commands exactly as they appear):
- ping 1-PC > C:\results.txt
- ping 192.168.10.6 >> C:\results.txt
- Once the above commands have completed, navigate to your C: drive and open the text file results.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.