Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot connect to password protected network.

• Please log in to reply

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey Sam,

What type of encryption (WEP, WPA, etc.) and authentication (AES, TKIP, etc.) are you using?

Please do Part 1: Disable IEEE 802.1X Authentication from this MS Article - Wireless Connection Is Periodically Lost -- ignore the name.

Advertisements

thenuge15

thenuge15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Dan, Its WPA and TKIP.

thenuge15

thenuge15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Dan, I tried what you mentioned above but the whole authentication tab is gray (nothing can be clicked), and the enable box was not checked.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey Sam,

Could you please try temporarily changing the encryption type to WEP on your router, then see if your machine can connect using WEP security. WEP is inferior to WPA, so I'm in no way suggesting this as a solution; just a test.

thenuge15

thenuge15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Dan,

I had already tried that and it didn't work.

thenuge15

thenuge15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Dan,

Any other ideas or am I pretty much stuck?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Sorry Sam, things have been a little hectic lately. Try the following steps and let me know if there's any change.

Step 1 - Remove your wireless profile:
  • Click Start, select Run, type ncpa.cpl and press OK
  • In the new window, right-click on your Wireless Network Connection and select Properties.
  • Select the Wireless Networks tab.
  • Click on your network's SSID and then press the Remove button.
Step 2 - Re-install your network adapter:
Please do the following -- *Note: You may need your Network adapter drivers CD in order to complete these steps.
  • Click Start, select Run, type devmgmt.msc and press OK
  • In the Device Manager, expand Network adapters
  • Under Network adapters, right-click your network adapter and select Uninstall.
  • Restart your computer; upon reboot, Windows will detect New Hardware and ask you to install your network adapter; please proceed to do so.
Once you have re-installed your adapter, attempt to connect to the wireless network again, with security enabled; be careful when typing in the passphrase and ensure it is correct. Any change?

- Dan