Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fed up with computer b/c it won't let me upgrade to Vista

• Please log in to reply

qtip00

qtip00

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Geeks to go forums,

I frankly have no one to turn to! My desktop is running on XP and is heavily infested with malware/spyware to the point of running slowly, not being able to open certain folders/files, consistently re-starting itself, and Windows XP changing itself to classic Windows.

I fortunately backed up everything on an external hard drive, so I'm ready to wipe everything out and install Windows Vista.

However, whenever I restart with the Vista cd, my computer doesn't read it. I've re-checked my BIOS (CD-Rom being the first to boot) yet the Vista cd just isn't running/being read. (I also don't have the Windows XP installation/restore cd)

Could the Vista cd be bad? Or better yet, is there any way I can completely wipe everything out, meaning start all over from scratch when I first put my computer together? I have the installation cds for my motherboard, video card, etc...

I'm frustrated to the point of just packed away the SOB in the basement...

Thanks for checking out my problem!

Edited by qtip00, 03 April 2009 - 10:11 AM.

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello qtip00

First things first never format as most malware can be cleaned up :)

If you can still load into your desktop I reccomend that you post this problem in our malware removal forum. Please read the following topic here and then post your problem here.
Please post your problem there where our experts will be more than happy to assist you :)

Secondly if the disc is not loading it could be the malware which is causing that. I would reccomend cleaning the malware out before upgrading your operating system as this may cause issues.

Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 03 April 2009 - 10:26 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You can test the Vista CD by placing it in another computer and see if it is read. Please note: Vista is burnt to a DVD disk. Is your CD drive capable of reading DVDs? If yes, will it recognize the files on another DVD disk (not the Vista).

Please note that your drivers CD is probably for XP and not for Vista. It would be wise to check that your computer (or motherboard) manufacturer has Vista drivers made to your product. This can be a problem with older systems.

If you wish to format the disk you can download GParted (a link in my list below), create a bootable CD, boot with the CD and format the hard disk. When you install the operating system on the formatted disk reformat it again, chosing full format (not quick).

You may want to follow wizzy2k5 advice and post in the malware forum first.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Where did Vista DVD come from?