Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Several Vista Startup Problems

• Please log in to reply

IBalladI

IBalladI

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Alright, I've done some searching online, as well as had a friend diagnose and ultimately install Windows Vista Ultimate and yet I can't seem to find out what's wrong with my PC, which I need badly since it's the one I use to play God's best creation, video games.

First off, when I boot up, it doesn't recognize my wired USB keyboard - a cheap little wired keyboard. There aren't any lights indicating data transfer between the computer and my keyboard, but what's odd is that it will let me enter BIOS and go to the screen that allows me to select my boot device, but once I enter either option, it no longer functions. It won't let me use the arrow keys or enter to select anything, ending in me having to restart.

I saw one tip to plug it in after the PC is on, before the PC is on, using a USB-powered USB hub as a buffer, PS/2-USB adapter for the keyboard...none of it works. I still get the same thing.

This leads to my second biggest concern, the main issue I'm trying to fix.

When initial startup is finished and Windows goes into the Windows loading bar to start Vista, my screen flashes with an indecipherable blue screen for a fraction of a second then restarts from the beginning.

Where the real mind f*ck comes in is that when my friend (who is a Microsoft-certified tech and all) booted my PC at the store, it worked perfectly fine. Got to desktop, worked great. I bring it home (paying careful attention as to how I treat my "baby"), plug it in, and it does exactly what I described above. Any ideas?

I'm going to post my hardware just in case to see if you guys can see any hardware conflicts immediately:

MB: Gigabyte AMD AM2 GA-M59SLI-S5
VC: nVidia GeForce 8800 GT Overclocked
RAM: OCZ DDR2 PC2-8800 (2x2GB)
P: AMD Athlon 64 3.36ghZ (don't know model, sorry)

I just use a standard heat sink/cooling fan combo for the processor and my power supply is a 700W OCZ, as well.

Thanks for any help, guys!

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Did you try different keyboard?
Did you try different power outlet? If you use surge protector, bypass it momentarily.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Try this link to find more information about the Blue Screen error: http://www.bleepingc...tml#entry409491

I'd suspect that the Blue Screen event is likely related to your motherboard/chipset drivers (which is where the USB drivers are located) - but the Blue Screen error message is likely to tell us more.

IBalladI

IBalladI

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
@ Broni: I tried a different keyboard, and I tried your suggestion of direct connection to the wall outlet. No good.

@ usasma: I read your suggestion that you linked to and unfortunately I can't do what is required in your guide to disable Automatic Restarting. My computer won't even get past the primary boot, so I can't even interact with the GUI of Windows beyond BIOS, etc (which is still problematic since I can't use my keyboard)

I managed to get a brief capture on my crappy little Kodak camera using video feed. This is the best I could do out of 4 tries.

http://img8.imagesha...29/80850016.jpg

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
You did good! :) That's a STOP 0x7b error - more information about the error is here: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x7b
What it says is that Windows can't access your boot device (hard drive).

So, this is likely a problem with your hard drive and not with your keyboard/mouse.
Since you can't get far enough in to run Startup Repair, I'd have to suggest downloading a bootable hard drive diagnostic from the website of the manufacturer of your hard drive. Then boot from that and test your hard drive.