Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

All-in-one computer

• Please log in to reply

interpolarity

interpolarity

• PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
Hello. I know this can be done, so please help me out. Also, don't just throw links at me without a little explanation. I can use Google too :-P

Due to the economic stress, my family has turned to me to find a cheaper solution to the television and possibly the phone (mostly for international use). While I am good at computers, I don't know everything, and so I turn to you GeeksToGo.

What I had in mind was to get rid of cable entirely in favor of using one of our computers (MacBook w/ OSX 10.5.6 and Windows XP Professional Media Center 2005) to have a wireless signal transmitted to both our TVs somehow that would display the contents of the monitor or be used as a secondary display. Then, using Front Row or Windows Media Center (or something else?) and free tv services, such as hulu, veoh and youtube we could watch 'TV' for free (or for cheaper) using our computers.

Please please please tell me how to go about getting this done. The cable bill is becoming more of a burden each day.

Also, how can I get free/dirt cheap international phone w/ the computer? My aunt in Greece is able to even hook a special phone up to her computer and get free calls to here but I don't think it works the same in America. Let me know.

Thank you all in advance.

Advertisements

tyler kick you fase

tyler kick you fase

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
http://www.geekstogo...ow-t234143.html a post that i made might help you with your tv. keep an eye on it.

with the phone, there is a usb drive item that lets you conect your phone to the internet. its called magic jack, it gives free long distance and normal distance and you just have to pay for internet.

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
thanks... but how do I connect my PC/Mac to the TV? Can I have a dedicated tower? How can I do it wirelessly? etc...

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
I'm sorry as of right now I'm having technical difficulties, The forum is not allowing me to post my reply correctly, I will have to look into this. Therefore I had to remove my reply, I will post back.
Sorry

Cbarnard

Ok I'm back:

Got to Link here
it a wireless interface from your pc to your tv

Keep in mind you will possibly lose quality in your viewing using a wireless interface. Also being wireless it could have interference from a lot of household and personal electronics. It would be better to use a wired interface, as it is shielded from RF interference.

Here is a link to cable HDMI that can be used in the walls. This would most likely allow you to leave the tower in an inconspicuous space while enjoying your TV, you could also build a shelf under the TV like I did, and put put the media center there. You would probably want a wireless desktop, for the unit as well.
I hope this helps.

Cbarnard

Edited by cbarnard, 04 April 2009 - 10:34 AM.

tyler kick you fase

tyler kick you fase

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
newer TV's have a computer slot some were.

Edited by tyler kick you fase, 06 April 2009 - 09:20 AM.

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
ok, looks good...

three more questions, for now...

1. Is there a remote that can be used to control the screen?
2. Does the PC to TV converter have a more specific/technical name?
3. Can I hook up a phone to be used for internet Voip services?

Thanks for the help! :)

*edit*

fourth question-

If I get the HDMI cable, is that all I'd need? Would I need additional soft/hardware?
And what about the wireless one? Would I need extra soft/hardware?

Thanks again!

Edited by interpolarity, 05 April 2009 - 12:47 PM.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

ok, looks good...

three more questions, for now...

1. Is there a remote that can be used to control the screen?
2. Does the PC to TV converter have a more specific/technical name?
3. Can I hook up a phone to be used for internet Voip services?

Thanks for the help!
*edit*

fourth question-

If I get the HDMI cable, is that all I'd need? Would I need additional soft/hardware?
And what about the wireless one? Would I need extra soft/hardware?

Thanks again!

Hey welcome back.

I used some examples of cables for you, But for me to suggest proper cables I need to know specifics about your computer, and TV.
Please tell me the brand of computer and model number. Do you have an additional video card installed? If so what brand and model.

What brand and model tv do you have. Once I have this information I will offer suggestions for parts.

According to the specs of the wireless system there is no software needed.

There are remotes you can install to the media center, I haven't personally used them, but they can be found on newegg.com

For your phone question, I know alot of people have been using Magic Jack. I have never used it and don't know much about it. The other thing you could try is vonage, it connects to your modem (the Gateway)

Reply back with the info and I will get back to you :)

Thank you,
Cbarnard

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
My daughter uses magic jack and it does work
40.00 initial start up after the first 30 days of trial period.
After that on the yearly anniversary of 30 day trial period the cost is 20.00 a year.
I hope this helps.

tyler kick you fase

tyler kick you fase

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

My daughter uses magic jack and it does work
40.00 initial start up after the first 30 days of trial period.
After that on the yearly anniversary of 30 day trial period the cost is 20.00 a year.
I hope this helps.

that help me too because im thinking of getting magic jack.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Click Here to get to the magic jack main page.
You pay nothing when ordering but after the free 30 day trial your credit card will be charged the $40.00 for the magic jack and first year subscription.

Advertisements

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
The magic Jack sounds great!

I have a JVC television that has the traditional yellow, white and red connections as well as a connection for a cable and component cables (Green red and blue i think) as well as a super-video port. It is not a plasma screen but it isn't [i]that[/] old either.
And we can live very easily without HD
The computer is a Dell Desktop with XP Media Center 2005 with 80GB of space (unformatted) and 1 GB of RAM. No additional memory card. The computer is in storage right now, so I can't tell you the exacts of what its capabilities are, but
I'd rather use that one since the other two computers are laptops and are taken around everywhere.

Do you guys suggest hardware/software updates for the tower?

Oh, and P.S. I wanted the wireless since I have 2 TVs I want the signal transmitted to both of them without sending wires from side of the house to another...

Thanks!

*edit* spelling errors :-P silly me

Edited by interpolarity, 07 April 2009 - 05:19 PM.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Oh, and P.S. I wanted the wireless since I have 2 TVs I want the signal transmitted to both of them without sending wires from side of the house to another...

As I don't use these devices I'm not sure if you can have multiple signals from one device, that is something that would have to be looked into at a later date.

The computer is a Dell Desktop with XP Media Center 2005 with 80GB of space (unformatted) and 1 GB of RAM. No additional memory card. The computer is in storage right now, so I can't tell you the exacts of what its capabilities are, but
I'd rather use that one since the other two computers are laptops and are taken around everywhere.

Do you guys suggest hardware/software updates for the tower?

I will need to know the exact model number assigned to the computer by Dell. After that I would be able to give suggestions as to upgrades

I have a JVC television that has the traditional yellow, white and red connections as well as a connection for a cable and component cables (Green red and blue i think) as well as a super-video port. It is not a plasma screen but it isn't [i]that[/] old either.
And we can live very easily without HD

It sounds like your TV will not work with the setup, I will have to research it some more...

If you can get me that data I will be better able to help you

Cbarnard

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hello,

I see that you have not replied to this post. Do you still need assistance?

If the problem has been resolved please post a reply stating this is resolved. If the problem resurfaces again please reference this thread in the new thread you start.

If you continue to need assistance please reply back with requested information asked for previously in my last post.

I like to hear how things are going for the people I'm assisting, please let me know how it is going good or bad!!!

Thank you very much and good luck

Cbarnard

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
I'm sorry for not replying. I did a little research and found the following:
http://www.svideo.com/7svto3rca.html
http://www.svideo.com/pro724.html
http://www.svideo.com/pctvez.html
http://www.svideo.com/vga2video2.html
http://www.svideo.co...ocomponent.html

All these are connections that my computer and TV support (7-pin female S-Video and VGA on the computer and RCA, 4-pin female +stereo, and Component on TV)

Which is the best value? Quality is a nice feature, but I can handle SD quality...
Will they work? Is there anywhere else I can get them cheaper?

Bonus questions:
My computer doesn't have wi-fi capability... what do I do??
Can Magic-Jack work with wi-fi?

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hello welcome back,

Sorry it has been busy for me. I'm sorry I'm just getting to you...

The Magic Jack should work with wifi...

You could purchase a wireless pcmia card for a laptop, or a desktop pci card I use linksys myself... 40$ at Walmart I'm sure they are also at Newegg.

Do you have a wireless network setup at your house currently?

Just remember if you attempt to make the connection to the tv wireless(and you are using wirless internet for the computers) that there could be interference, and this is a know issue. You may be able to minimize this by having your internet on a lower channel (1) and the tv wifi on a higher channel... (11)

The only thing is the hertz levels aren't that far off, so it still could be an issue.

I have found several other sites where you can find the items you are looking for... HDTVsupply

Here is a link to converters.TV\

This link you gave me looks like a good candidate.

I haven't used any of the products you have posted about or that I'm linking to.

I can only read the requirements and the reviews,

I'm also sorry about stating your TV was incompatable... I had missed a line in the description.

Good luck and let me know how this works,

Cbarnard