Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WIN 7

• Please log in to reply

Biker1

Biker1

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'm running XP Pro and Vista on a dual boot setup, and want to install WIN 7 on a separate hard drive. Will it become part of a multiple boot system, or will it remain separate and have to be started from the BIOS setup? If the latter, how can I create a tri boot setup? Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
If you install Win7 after XP is installed, it will automatically configure the dual boot options for you. Make sure that you don't overwrite your XP (by installing Win7 on that drive) and everything will be OK.

As for a tri-boot, that'll depend on what you're installing next.

Biker1

Biker1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
You say, "As for a tri-boot, that'll depend on what you're installing next." Afraid I don't understand. I have two hard drives, in my example, one containing XP Pro and Vista Ultimate, in a dual-boot setup. I am contemplating installing WIN 7 on a second hard drive and wondering if a tri-boot setup will result or what procedure I would have to follow to bring up my choice of OS. Thanks.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
When installing XP, then Vista, then Win7 the booting will be managed automatically by Windows.
Changing the order of installation (such as installing XP last), will change what's required to make them all play nicely together.

Also, installing Linux before any of the Windows OS's will usually result in a SNAFU also. Linux recognizes Windows boot stuff - but Windows doesn't recognize the Linux stuff.

You can install OS's on any hard drive, you've just got to have different partitions for each one. So the Vista installation can't be on the XP partition - but they can be on the same hard drive. Generally there's a limit of 4 partitions on a hard drive (lot's of exceptions to this tho').

I prefer to keep the OS's on different hard drives, but it's not a requirement. If you put 2 Windows installations on the same partition, you're likely to mess them both up and probably won't be able to boot into either of them.

Biker1

Biker1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
John: I conclude then that you are saying if I install WIN 7 on a separate hard drive, with Vista and XP on a second hard drive as they are now, that I will have a tri-boot setup, which would allow me to choose the desired OS on bootup. Is that correct? Thanks.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Yes, that's it!