Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

rebooting windows xp takes 5 minutes

• Please log in to reply

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Yes , they are " Like " each other , they have some different cleaning methods however..

You can run both CLEANERS safely , it is not recommended to run ccleaner's registry cleaner though , you can cause more damage to your computer if you run it ( Not knowing what it is cleaning/removing )

Anthony19

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
ccleaner will get the index.dat files and if you have never run it it may get rid of a half gig of junk.....atf won't...

we already found your problem ...

This volume is somewhat fragmented, with 0% of the total volume space available for defragmentation. This level of free space is so low that performance is suffering from that fact alone. Indeed, fragmentation is the least of your worries under these conditions. Clear some files off this volume to achieve a minimum of 20% free space for acceptable performance.

and yes there is a single space before the /r

Edited by happyrock, 06 April 2009 - 06:45 AM.

rxnet

rxnet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
so I guess its time to add the 1 TB hard drive??

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...first thing you do after initializing and partitioning it is to set the swap/paging file on it... make the minimum and the maximum the same size...2 times the amount of installed ram...if you have 1 GIG of ram...set the minimum and max to 2000 MB
BTW... 1 gig should be considered the sweet spot for XP...ram is CHEAP...
the old saying is "if a little is good ...alot is better" is true for RAM...
after that move your documents folder to that drive...plus any other large files or folders of stuff you have...
you want as little as you can on the original boot drive...just the OS and the programs..
then defrag both drives

Edited by happyrock, 06 April 2009 - 02:52 PM.

rxnet

rxnet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
actually got 2gb of junk out..will buy me time until I install the new HD...Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
I believe mine is IDE though...........

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
does your mobo support SATA drives...

rxnet

rxnet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I believe it is IDE...but I have to crack it open to see..been awhile since I've been inside...still can't get chkdsk to work?? Not sure what I'm doing wrong?? Computer is running super fast with the changes you made and deletions....still get the 5 minute reboot though...I assumed i need chkdsk to run to get that right...

Edited by rxnet, 08 April 2009 - 06:23 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what is the make and model of your computer...

rxnet

rxnet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Dell XPS

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
as you can see from this link here that we need to be just a little more specific ... :)

Advertisements

rxnet

rxnet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
sorry..thought I put that in there..Dell Dimension XPS Desktop with a 120GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive 7200 RPM

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
LETS TRY AGAIN..perhaps this will help here

Edited by happyrock, 13 April 2009 - 05:57 AM.

rxnet

rxnet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I wonder how many different 2003 Dell Dimensions XPS Desktop Tower were made...lets see...one...mine!! And it was called a Dell Dimension XPS desktop
System Type: XPS/Dimension XPS
Ship Date: 8/13/2003
Dell IBU: Americas

Installed: Hard Drive, 120G, IDE (INTEGRATED DRIVE ELECTRONICS) ..., 3.5" FORM FACTOR..., 1N, 7.2K, Western Digital-XL40

was considering adding this:

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKB 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM

Edited by rxnet, 13 April 2009 - 08:20 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
maybe this will help us figure out which one ....as you can see in the screenshot...they built at least 3...

rxnet

rxnet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
heres the link to my computer a Dell Dimension XPS Desktop (Dimension is the model back in 2003):

www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=1920&p=2