Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp repair install disaster!

• Please log in to reply

coleen

coleen

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've been trying to do a repair install for windows xp pro.To begin with it said I didnt have "w20mlres.dll" which I found in system32. Then it said "windows could not load the installer for media" among others. The screen started flashing and eventually when I pressed a key the dreaded blue screen came up saying "kernel data inpage error" and dumped the memory.

As the repair install had already started it told me I couldn't start in safe mode and so just repeated the same problems.

I've followed some instructions about doing a system restore from the recovery console but that's just made things worse. Now I can't restart the repair installation because it says I have a partition and if I press a key it threatens to overwrite all my data.

I can get into recovery console but it doesn't seem to give me any options to help me save my files but then again I'm not an expert on these things.

I just want to recover my data and format. I couldnt back it up before I started all this because I didn't have a place to put it.

All this because my computer stopped recognizing my usb stick....

Please help.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi coleen and welcome to Geeks to go.
Before we start, we will need some more information. depending on what you answer will depend on how we proceed.

Is this a laptop or a desktop?
Is this a name brand like Dell, HP, Gateway, etc? or a home built one?

There are ways to get the data from the drive. Depending on your answer, we can slave it to another computer, place it in a USB enclosure (needs another computer), or use a linx based OS that runs strictly from the CD.
A lot also depends on what you feel comfortable in doing.

123runner

coleen

coleen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for replying 123.

Its an acer travelmate 800 laptop. I would rather not take the computer apart but if need be I can. i have a Dell Inspiron laptop available if this helps.

There's no way to fix the reapair installation(!)?

Thanks again

coleen

coleen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
After an evening of gnashing teeth, I've got Bart's PE Builder up and running. I can see my files but how do I get them off? There seems to be many applications on the PE Builder but not many instructions. I've tried hooking up a cable between two laptops using tcp\ip and the HDHost plugin but the computer running PE Builder says "Unable to install network adapters". (Typical, the one thing i need to do I can't).

I'm not even sure if I can just connect the two computers by a cable or do I need an interface. Currnetly searching for this though.

The damaged machine is an Acer travelmate 800.

So, do I need to download and install network adapters because they're not on the PE Builder? Do I need to connect the two computers in a different way? Do I need to throw my computer through a window?

My USB port doesnt work for Storage devices (everything else though) by the way.

Any thoughts please?