Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

fan or virus?

• Please log in to reply

kazzman

kazzman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
It just started doing it about a month ago, used to be quiet for the first year. Wonder if it's a dust problem?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It's possible. You can blow it out with a can of compressed air.
While you are inside you might as well blow all the little dust bunnies out of there.
After doing that if the fan still looks dirty you can use a q-tip to get inside of the blades on it.
Word of caution, make sure you turn system off and unplug it while doing this work.
Also do not hold can of air upside down as this will create a freezing affect and possibly damage the components inside.
If there are smokers in the house you may need to do a deeper cleaning on the fans as smoke creates a film on the fans that attract and hold dirt.
Let us know how it goes after you have completed these steps.

kazzman

kazzman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
ok thanks rshaffer, i'll update you once I try the compressed air.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome. I will monitor this thread and I'll be waiting for your post on how everything is working.