Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't see the Ext Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

KCD86

KCD86

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
Hello, I am running Windows EX Home edition and 2 years ago I added an external HD, Western Digital 250g. I moved evrything I could over to it to try and save space on my old PC. When I first started using the ext HD the PC called it "MY Book(G), and somwhere along the line it renamed it self "MY Book(F)" and its been working fine until last week it is now "My Book (G)" again and the desktop icons associated to the ext HD are blank. or when I click on them it says the associated disk is not there. Altough, I can go into programs and acssess lets say AOL and get on the internet. But some programs ie; HP Director, Super anti-spyware ... all on the that ext HD I cant get into.
I have re-booted the ext HD several times ran Avast(no viruses found) to no avail.
Any help will be much appreciated :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you add another drive to your system?
This will usually cause a external drive to take the last unused drive letter when it is connected.
What is now using F drive?

Go to start>my computer
This should show all drives on your system. Please post the drives and their associated letters

Edited by rshaffer61, 05 April 2009 - 08:21 AM.

KCD86

KCD86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I double clicked on the Safely Remove Hardware icon bottom Right. Under hardware device is the following:
>USB Mass Storage Devices, I right click properties are as follows
Device Type: Universal Series Bus Controller
Manufacture: Compatible USB Storage Device
Driver Microsoft 7/1/2001

>hp psc 2400 series(Dotr 4usb)

>USB Mass Storage Devices, I right click properties are as follows
Device Type: Universal Series Bus Controller
Manufacture: Compatible USB Storage Device
Driver Microsoft 7/1/2001

KCD86

KCD86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
3 1/2Floppy"A"

Local Disk C
CD Drive (D), Have not used in quite a while
Removable Disk(E), No idea what this is
MY Book (G), which is the ExT HD now

Edited by KCD86, 05 April 2009 - 08:52 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Removable disk could be
usb drive
flash drive
media card
ext drive

Any of the above apply?

KCD86

KCD86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Oh, the removable disk is probably the multi USB connection we have for ipods,digital camera's ect..

KCD86

KCD86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
When I duoble click on the safely remove hardware in the tray icon and then double click both USB Mass Storage I get the following:
#1- USB Mass Storage
Generic Volume (E)
Hp psc 2410 USB Device
#2- USB Mass Storage
Generic Volume (G)
WD 2500 jb Ext USB Device

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
I'm not sure why it's skipping (F), but I would try unplugging the multi USB device and rebooting. that would free up that drive letter and put youe EX back where it should. After it does that you can plug in your multi USB device back in. Also might want to unplug things from the multi divice such as your iPod.

[EDIT] What do you have plugged in that is made by HP?

Edited by Oreo Collas, 05 April 2009 - 09:24 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hp is your printer correct?
Btw at anytime did someone plug in a usb flash drive or anything? Maybe a phone or mp3 player?
Then you plugged the ext drive in at the same time?
Have you rebooted the system to see if it will clear the setting out?

Kudos Oreo, you beat to the point.

Edited by rshaffer61, 05 April 2009 - 09:25 AM.

KCD86

KCD86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I have unplugged everything except the ext HD and re-booted. My Computer still has the ext HD as "G"

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Here is something that I found. Let me know how it works.

How to assign a drive letter
To assign a drive letter to a drive, a partition, or a volume, follow these steps:
Log on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Performance and Maintenance.

Note If you do not see Performance and Maintenance, go to step 3. Performance and Maintenance appears in Control Panel only if you use Category view. If you use Classic view, Performance and Maintenance does not appear.
Click Administrative Tools, double-click Computer Management, and then click Disk Management in the left pane.
Right-click the drive, the partition, the logical drive, or the volume that you want to assign a drive letter to, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
Click Add.
Click Assign the following drive letter if it is not already selected, and then either accept the default drive letter or click the drive letter that you want to use.
Click OK.
The drive letter is assigned to the drive, to the partition, or to the volume that you specified, and then that drive letter appears in the appropriate drive, partition, or volume in the Disk Management tool.

How to change a drive letter
To change an existing drive letter on a drive, on a partition, or on a volume, follow these steps:
Log on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Performance and Maintenance.
Click Administrative Tools, double-click Computer Management, and then click Disk Management in the left pane.
Right-click the drive, the partition, the logical drive, or the volume that you want to assign a drive letter to, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
Click Change.
Click Assign the following drive letter if it is not already selected, click the drive letter that you want to use, and then click OK.
Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the drive letter change.
The drive letter of the drive, the partition, or the volume that you specified is changed, and the new drive letter appears in the appropriate drive, partition, or volume in the Disk Management tool.