Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't uninstall Network Monitor Driver

• Please log in to reply

Krautz

Krautz

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I can't uninstall the network monitor driver from my network connection. If I uninstall my network adapter, then reinstall it, still network monitor driver is there. When I try to uninstall it, the system hangs. I let it hang overnight even, just to make sure. I've also tried uninstalling it with WinPcap's netmoninstaller.exe u command. System hangs.

Please help.

Advertisements

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
hi,

from here there are some instructions

http://www.winpcap.o...isc/faq.htm#Q-1

Q-1: How can I see if WinPcap is installed on my system? How can I remove it?

A: WinPcap 2.1 or newer: go to the control-panel, then open the "Add or Remove Programs" applet. If WinPcap is present in your system, an entry called "WinPcap" will be present. Double-click on it to uninstall WinPcap.
WinPcap 2.02 or older: go to the control-panel, then open the "Network" applet. If WinPcap is present in your system, an entry called "Packet Capture Driver" will be listed (in Windows NT you have to choose the "Services" tab). Select it and press "Remove" to uninstall WinPcap.

To be absolutely sure that WinPcap has been installed, please look at your system folder: you should find files called packet.* and wpcap.dll. Please check the file dates: these should be compatible with the WinPcap release dates. We've had reports of trojans or other malware that silently install the WinPcap driver, NPF.sys. If you've been infected by them, you'll probably see the driver file in Windows\System32\Drivers, but no entries in the "Add or Remove Programs" applet and no dlls.

IMPORTANT NOTE: sometimes, when uninstalling WinPcap version 2.02 or older from the control panel's network applet in Windows 9x, the file Windows\Packet.dll is not deleted. You must delete this file manually, otherwise version 2.1 will not work properly and could cause system crashes.

-end faq-

Or you could try booting in to safe mode and uninstall it.
Keep tapping f8 when starting the computer.
Then you will get a list of options.
Choose safe mode.

Krautz

Krautz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi

I have no problems uninstalling winpcap. Winpcap additionally installs a Windows protocol - Network Monitor Driver, and so the problem lies within Windows, I believe. Winpcap doesn't remove this driver when it is uninstalled. I've tried removing it in safe mode, even with the default administrator account. I need information on how to remove it manually. I know the files it consists of (see here), however Windows will replace these files if deleted. I'll need a real Windows buff to help me with this.

Here's a couple of topics with the same problem:

http://www.techsuppo...tor-driver.html

http://www.techsuppo...tor-driver.html

I'm going to try uninstalling the network adapter AND disabling it in BIOS - I didn't think of that - like one reader suggested in the second topic. I'll let you know how it goes. --didn't work

Edited by Krautz, 06 April 2009 - 02:57 AM.