Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recording device lost

• Please log in to reply

paulcole

paulcole

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Hey,

Would someone please help me in getting this small but irritating problem sorted

I have recently purchased a new United Pepper Lili Webcam and downloaded and installed the correct drivers plugged the usb cable and mic wire into the back of my pc

The video is working but the microphone is not

I am trying to get it to work with Skype but when I open the sound panel and look in the recording tab it is saying that i have no audio device installed

My computer speakers are working ok on the test call but I can not get the mic to work!!!!!!

Can someone please advise

When I click on the sound tab the first thing I see is in the playback tab and I have a green tick placed on my Sigmatel speakers but when I click on the recording tab it is blank

no audio device installed?

I think I may have deleted the Mic Volume (Realtek High Definition Audio) and the Line Volume by mistake

Appreciate all help

Paul

Advertisements

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
What operating system are you useing? If you're useing Vista I've heard rumor that many voice chat programs need to be run as "administrator"

Please let us know brands, models, and as much information as you can about your hardware and the programs that you are useing.

paulcole

paulcole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I am using Vista

I have run Skype as administrator

but as mentioned I may have deleted my recording device and mic???

Thanks for your prompt reply

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
What brand is your sound card? Is it built in to the mother board or is it added to an expansion slot? Might try going to the brand name web site and see if you can find updated drivers. See if that fixes it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this
To make Vista show recording devices is a four-step process:
1. Select sound from the control panel.
2. Select the recording tab.
3. Right click on the background of the tab and choose "show disabled devices."
4. Right click on Wave Out Mix and click enable.
5. Now it should work the same way as Wave Out Mix in Windows XP, allowing you to record any sound your computer makes.

Also what motherboard do you have. You may need to install the newest HD driver from manufacturer of mb to get it to work. I had a similar problem with my wife's new system.

Edited by rshaffer61, 06 April 2009 - 08:37 AM.

paulcole

paulcole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
How to I find the brand name of my sound card

It is inbuilt to the motherboard

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is your system a name brand? IE Dell, HP, Compaq
If so there should be a model number on the front or back of system. Please supply that and we can research the drivers and specs for you

paulcole

paulcole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Thanks for that last message I have managed to right click and show disabled devices and have managed to tick my mic and all is working fine

Thanks for your help

Appreciate

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congrats on a successful resolve to your issue. Upon researching your problem I found Vista has done this intentionally and this is the fix that allot of techs use to fix the problem.
You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help. Please let us know how everything works.. If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help

If a member is reading this and has a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

paulcole

paulcole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
HI,

Thanks for helping me with my previous mic issues, which is working fine still.

I seem to be getting the following error messages though is this to do with the mic or is it something else?

Can you help or should I start a new topic?

Thanks mate

Paul

I have attached the error message as a .jpg hope you are able to open it

Attached Thumbnails

• error.jpg

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
if you're getting this error, it's a Windows Vista known problem. this is a simple fix. it is an issue with Panda Internet Security. Uninstall Panda and then download and install the latest version from the panda website. This should correct your error/warning message. Please let me know if this helps. Here is the link for Panda:

Here

paulcole

paulcole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
HI,

I don't have Panda installed on my pc

I thought it was something to with Java or Firefox?

Sorry shall I create a new topic

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No need to start a new topic. We can deal with this in this topic for you. Let me do some research and I will post back soon.

paulcole

paulcole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
WOW

Thanks a lot

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I guess I should have asked some obvious questions first
Do you have Google Desktop or Firefox?
Have you upgraded to the newest Firefox ver 3.0.8

Edited by rshaffer61, 07 April 2009 - 07:56 AM.