Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB ports stopped working

• Please log in to reply

Michael Braddell

Michael Braddell

• Pip
  • 2 posts
All 4 USB ports on my laptop have stopped working. The devices ( printer, webcam, external hard drive, mouse) are not recognised, but power is reaching them.
Recently my USB mouse has intermittently failed to reboot from 'stand by'and I simply disconnected and reconnected it without first 'safely removing ' it. This worked ok for a few weeks.
I have run through all the steps listed in Microsoft Help and Support under 'USB May Stop Working'

scan device manager for hardware changes,
restart computer
disable and re-enable the USB controller
disable the selective suspend feature using Microsoft FixIt

None of these have worked and all the USB ports listed show no problems, but list no devices .

All the devices work fine on my desk top PC.

Other factors which may have contributed to loss of USBs at that time ( may be irrelevant but I dont know!):

Severe electrical storm with lightning strike on pylon close by (power surge?).

AVG Anti Virus programme is up to date. It showed a severe threat warning immediately before the USB ports stopped working. Unfortunately I deleted the contents of the Virus Vault without really taking in what the threat was; knee jerk reaction :) .( Infection by one of those nasties such as Conficker?). I ran a full system scan immediately and no threats were found.

My savvy friend says ' time for a new laptop' .

System details:

Fujitsu C series Lifebook
Microsoft XP home Edition Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Any suggestions for helping me resolve this problem would be most welcome .

Michael Braddell

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Michael Braddell...

You've tried just about everything we normally suggest for this. One more thing you can try, though.

Shut your lappy down, disconnect it from power, and remove the battery. Let it sit in this powerless state long enough to completely drain any residual electricity out of the system board capacitors...normally an hour or so. Then power it back up and try the ports. Sounds goofy, but I've seen it work more than once.

wannabe1

Michael Braddell

Michael Braddell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello wannabe,
Thanks for your prompt reply to my question. I left the battery out overnight,but no improvement unfortunately.
I dont know what to try next; possibly the computer store!
Best wishes
Michael